• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Collection Summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucidpuppy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

received summons aug 13 saturday with 20 days to respond
Midland Funding LLC on behalf of BofA

What do I do?

Last edited:

justalayman

well, while they might settle, you are a perfect example of a person they won't settle with. You are young, educated and most likely have a good chance of earning a reasonable income in the next 20 years which happens to be the life of a civil judgment in Florida..

If I were the plaintiff, I would not settle for a low offer. There is too much chance of you earning enough to pay the judgment along with the at least 11% interest (but up to 18% if the contract allowed for it). On top of that, they know a judgement on your credit report can be devastating. You most likely do not want your credit screwed up for the next 20 years.

I mentioned the FDCPA in the letter though I don't really have time, energy or resources for state and federal litigation.
there is a chance that part of the settlement offer would be a stipulation, by you, to allow the judgment.

I'm not sure where you have any leverage here.

mentioned the FDCPA? Was there a violation somewhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">