• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

astamps

Old debts from my husband and his former wife

My husband has long overdue debts from a previous marriage. I just paid off a house that I purchased during our marriage in Wyoming, but the house is only in my name. We filed taxes jointly. Both of us are over 65 and retired. How can I protect myself from debts from his previous marriage causing a lien on my property?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My husband has long overdue debts from a previous marriage. I just paid off a house that I purchased during our marriage in Wyoming, but the house is only in my name. We filed taxes jointly. Both of us are over 65 and retired. How can I protect myself from debts from his previous marriage causing a lien on my property?
It's possible that those debts are beyond the statute of limitations. Without more information about the debts, we really can't comment intelligently.

astamps

Old debts from my husband and his former wife

These debts are all at least 10 years old. There is a utility bill, a balance from an auto repossession, and a debt from a finance company that was money used for a down payment on a house that got repossessed. These debts have been passed on to countless collection agencies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
These debts are all at least 10 years old. There is a utility bill, a balance from an auto repossession, and a debt from a finance company that was money used for a down payment on a house that got repossessed. These debts have been passed on to countless collection agencies.
It appears that the debts are beyond the statute of limitations, but I would suggest that your husband pay for a sit-down with an attorney or a credit counselor (a real one, not one of the "pay me and I'll make it all go away" places).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">