• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt collector calling about a paid bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Oregon.

Last july our gas was shut off for non-payment I told the Gas co that I would pay back bill in full and gas turned back on when the weather turned colder which they said was fine with them. We was having financial problems then. We called the gas company last month and made the appointment for it to be turned back on. They came on day they were suppose to we gave the gas man a check for payment in full $301.00. they turned gas back on. 2 weeks later a collection agency called about the bill and I told them it was paid and thought no more of it. Today the collection agency called again and the gas has been on a month and I got mad and told them I paid the friggen bill and for them not to call again. I called the gas company to tell them to get the collection agency off my back and the gas company informed me they did not apply the $301.00 to our acct for the back bill they instead applied it as a credit towards future bills and I would have to pay the collection agency the $301.00. Even though a credit is nice on a bill. i am dammed pissed off because they want me to pay again the $301.00 to the collection agency. I feel like I am being forced to pay again a bill I paid. So what do I do. send a copy of the canceled check to the collection agency because the check was for the past due bill not a credit. or do I pay this bill again or do I fight this.

webwench

First of all, write the collection agency a letter and request that they stop contacting you about this bill. Be sure to write the name of the company that the bill is for and the amount they are trying to collect. (You can also state that this bill has been paid in full, but you don't have to mention that.)
Make at least two copies of this letter.

Then, photocopy your copy of the check that you paid the bill to the gas company originally. (If you don't have the check, that's ok, just mention the check number, date and amount from your check register) If you got a receipt from the technician, copy that also. (Hopefully you wrote a memo on the check with something like "payment in full" or the date of the last bill statement or your account number or some words to identify that the check was for your outstanding bill to date. ) Keep the originals. Keep copies for yourself of everything.

Then compose a letter to the gas company stating that you paid the outstanding bill for the period it applied to, mention the check number and the amount paid. Mention the telephone conversations and other efforts that you have made to resolve this confusion about the bill. Include a copy of the any relevant letters or notices that you have received from the gas company and also include a copy of the last letter you have received from the collection agency. Mention that you believe this matter has been taken care of according to the agreed upon payment arrangements and ask that they update their records with the corrected information to reflect your payment. Ask them for a reply to your letter.

Send this packet of stuff by Certified Mail to your gas company.

Keep records of anything else that happens after this, such as phone calls and correspondence. If the gas company fails to resolve this, you may need to keep talking to supervisors and managers at the gas company until you can get someone to act on this. From the way you described it, it definitely sounds like their mistake, so they should fix it. The two things you could've done differently to insure that this wouldn't happen is (1) get a receipt (that clearly identified the check as applying to a particular bill) from the technician you gave the check to originally and (2) follow-up within the first week after you paid the bill to make sure it had been applied to your account.

It's very possible that they had a change of employees (and resulting glitch in communication) between the time you talked with them and made the original payment arrangements and the time your check arrived. Your check may have been processed by someone who didn't know what it was for because of a communication breakdown between departments...and that may explain why it was applied to your future bills.

I hope this helps!

TigerD

Or possibly because of the northern temps, they can't deny service when someone pays a deposit or prepays, because of past bills.

Good luck -- you have an uphill fight. I would say the easiest thing would be to pay it again. And rest comfortably knowing you have a $311 credit to give you a start this winter.

DC

Re-deposits

No this was not a deposit because we paid deposit last March. Just before they shut off the gas we called them and told them that we didn't have money to pay bill then (it was july and temps were almost 100) and we would have it turned back on sept or oct and pay back bill at time we turned it on. We kept in contact during the time it was off. when we phoned to have it back on. We asked if there was any additional fee's like more deposits or penalties for letting it get shut off and they said no. Just pay the back bill of $301.00. I have had service with this company for years before I left town and when we came back last spring. i paid a deposit of 200.00 which is mandatory for everyone no matter if you are a past customer and today we recieved a bill from them and our bill for last month was broken down as usage $54.31, customer charge $3.00 (which everyone pays) 2.%tax=$1.15 and a Reconnect charge of $15.00 for a total of $73.46. it the space where it says pay this amount its says NONE and it also says we have a credit of $227.54.

What irritates me is we are trying to clean up our credit so we can buy a house with a VA Loan and we do not want this to appear on our credit report because we did pay the back bill of $301. Plus it really grates on my nerves to have a collection agency call when you paid a bil. I appreciate what anyone can tell me that will help.

SaraTGinMD

Just a quick reply on my part as I researched all this in detail when I had a similar problem..The "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" forbids any one from contacting you once you have sent them a written request to provide proof of the debt...If they contact you again you may be entitled to financial compensation from them..There are lawyers who handle cases like this..I`d write them and request proof of this debt and provide your proof it was paid and inform them if the contact you again in any manner you will file charges against them for violation of this act

TigerD

SaraTGinMD said:
Just a quick reply on my part as I researched all this in detail when I had a similar problem..The "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" forbids any one from contacting you once you have sent them a written request to provide proof of the debt...If they contact you again you may be entitled to financial compensation from them..There are lawyers who handle cases like this..I`d write them and request proof of this debt and provide your proof it was paid and inform them if the contact you again in any manner you will file charges against them for violation of this act
No it doesn't. And you can't file charges unless you happen to be a prosecutor.

First the FDCPA only applies to CAs -- it doesnt' apply to the original creditor -- so your anyone idea is wrong.

Second the poster isn't a deadbeat trying to get out of a just bill but a person who has paid a debt and had it credited inappropriately. They need to take care of the confusion -- not get into a pissing match with the people providing them heat.

Bad advice is worse than no advice.

Again the OPs options are simple: get in touch with the accounts receivable manager at the gas company and spend some time sorting it out. Simply pay the debt again through the CA and enjoy the credit they have -- or start a huge battle that doesn't need to happen.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">