• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Collector calling for service I never authorized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turpy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

3 years ago I locked my keys in my car and called a locksmith to come help me to unlock my car. I provided my address and he said he was coming over. After awhile I got a call from the locksmith saying he could not find my address and wanted directions how to get to my house. While giving him directions we got disconnected. He was an older gentleman and directions were not his strength. I tried calling him back and was not able to reach him so I sat and waited. After about another 45-60 min we ended actually finding my keys in the house and were able to get in my car, got what we needed and left in my wifes car as we were in a hurry. I did not call the locksmith back, it did not even cross my mind at the time.

When we got home later that night, the car was unlocked and a bill was on my car. I called the locksmith the next day and let him know that he never showed up, I no longer needed the service and was not able to get ahold of him when I tried. I was not even there for him to perform the service. I let him know I did not think I should pay the bill, the older gentleman got upset and started yelling at me so I let him know I would not be paying it.

A few months later I got a call from a lawfirm (collections) saying I owed the money and it was sent to collections. I let them know that the service was done without my permission and I should have never been billed. They said they would mark it as disputed and take care of it and I never heard from them again.

3 years later they are robot calling my and trying to get me to pay that bill. I asked who the bill was through and they would not give my any information but the company name... which is a parent company and not the local business. I was able to figure out by process of elimination which one I called and called the guy and he was very rude again. Said he had no idea who I was, said if they are calling it is because I owe him, and that he has the integrity to pay his bills and just expects others to have the same integrity.

At this point I feel I was billed for a service I did not need, want and should have never been done. I never signed anything to do the work, and besides calling him initially (but he never showed up) he had no right to do the service. They are going to report me to my credit bureau and take me to court (their words) if I do not pay it... I feel like I am being forced to pay for a service that I feel never should have been done in the first place. While I called him originally it is almost like doing a service that was not asked for and billing someone, then sending them to collections.

I have a company and I would have just apologized and ripped up the bill.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

3 years ago I locked my keys in my car and called a locksmith to come help me to unlock my car. I provided my address and he said he was coming over. After awhile I got a call from the locksmith saying he could not find my address and wanted directions how to get to my house. While giving him directions we got disconnected. He was an older gentleman and directions were not his strength. I tried calling him back and was not able to reach him so I sat and waited. After about another 45-60 min we ended actually finding my keys in the house and were able to get in my car, got what we needed and left in my wifes car as we were in a hurry. I did not call the locksmith back, it did not even cross my mind at the time.

When we got home later that night, the car was unlocked and a bill was on my car. I called the locksmith the next day and let him know that he never showed up, I no longer needed the service and was not able to get ahold of him when I tried. I was not even there for him to perform the service. I let him know I did not think I should pay the bill, the older gentleman got upset and started yelling at me so I let him know I would not be paying it.

A few months later I got a call from a lawfirm (collections) saying I owed the money and it was sent to collections. I let them know that the service was done without my permission and I should have never been billed. They said they would mark it as disputed and take care of it and I never heard from them again.

3 years later they are robot calling my and trying to get me to pay that bill. I asked who the bill was through and they would not give my any information but the company name... which is a parent company and not the local business. I was able to figure out by process of elimination which one I called and called the guy and he was very rude again. Said he had no idea who I was, said if they are calling it is because I owe him, and that he has the integrity to pay his bills and just expects others to have the same integrity.

At this point I feel I was billed for a service I did not need, want and should have never been done. I never signed anything to do the work, and besides calling him initially (but he never showed up) he had no right to do the service. They are going to report me to my credit bureau and take me to court (their words) if I do not pay it... I feel like I am being forced to pay for a service that I feel never should have been done in the first place. While I called him originally it is almost like doing a service that was not asked for and billing someone, then sending them to collections.

I have a company and I would have just apologized and ripped up the bill.
Its highly unlikely that they are going to actually sue you. This is one of the kinds of collection activity that really tick me off. They know you disputed the bill. They know that there is a decent chance that a small claims court judge would agree with you. Therefore, instead of taking you to small claims court, which is what the locksmith should have done, he gave the invoice to a collection agency knowing that the collection agencies will put a bad mark on your credit report and bug you to death. When you don't back down from the first collection agency, they will pass it on down the food chain to another collection agency and then they will bug you to death. In my opinion its more of a form of revenge or hope that you will get frustrated a cave, then any valid attempt to collect a valid debt.

LdiJ

Strangely enough, the OP's behavior 3 years ago is the kind of thing that really ticks me off. shrug
He called a locksmith. The locksmith could not find his house and their phone call got cut off. He tried to call the locksmith back and got no answer. It had been long enough to believe that the locksmith was not going to show.

The locksmith showed up, unlocked a car that he had no real idea was the car that he had been called to unlock (how could he since there was nobody there to tell him) and left a bill. If a locksmith showed up at my house when I wasn't home, and unlocked my car and left it unlocked, I would be one very angry person.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He called a locksmith. The locksmith could not find his house and their phone call got cut off. He tried to call the locksmith back and got no answer. It had been long enough to believe that the locksmith was not going to show.

The locksmith showed up, unlocked a car that he had no real idea was the car that he had been called to unlock (how could he since there was nobody there to tell him) and left a bill. If a locksmith showed up at my house when I wasn't home, and unlocked my car and left it unlocked, I would be one very angry person.
And I feel that the OP should have let the locksmith know that his services were no longer needed...

LdiJ

And I feel that the OP should have let the locksmith know that his services were no longer needed...
I agree that he probably should have tried one more time to call the locksmith. However, I do not think that justifies the locksmith opening a car that he wasn't certain was the car that needed to be open, leaving it unlocked.

Had the locksmith mailed him a bill for a, I really cannot remember what to call it, the fee that many service people like plumbers and electricians charge if they come out and then you don't have the work done...service charge maybe?...I would have seen that as more justified. But the locksmith unlocked the car and left it unlocked, with no way to know if it was even the right car.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree that he probably should have tried one more time to call the locksmith. However, I do not think that justifies the locksmith opening a car that he wasn't certain was the car that needed to be open, leaving it unlocked.

Had the locksmith mailed him a bill for a, I really cannot remember what to call it, the fee that many service people like plumbers and electricians charge if they come out and then you don't have the work done...service charge maybe?...I would have seen that as more justified. But the locksmith unlocked the car and left it unlocked, with no way to know if it was even the right car.
And I can agree with your point about the locksmith unlocking a car without knowing if it was the right car.

In fact, I'm going to change my position a bit. I still think it was pretty rude for the OP to not at least leave a message with the locksmith, but it was wrong for the locksmith to unlock the unattended car.

LdiJ

And I can agree with your point about the locksmith unlocking a car without knowing if it was the right car.

In fact, I'm going to change my position a bit. I still think it was pretty rude for the OP to not at least leave a message with the locksmith, but it was wrong for the locksmith to unlock the unattended car.
Then I think we have a meeting of the minds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">