• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt collector not receiving mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

corphis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA - Pennsylvania

I am trying to dispute a debt placed on my credit reports by a collection agency but have been getting odd results. When I have disputed with the credit bureaus they have responded with a confirmation that they have received proof from the collection agency. Yet when I contact the collection agency myself, I do not receive any reply. Three times I have tried to contact them via letters sent by certified mail with return receipt. The first time the return receipt card came back to me confirming they had received the letter, but I never received a reply letter from them. The second time my letter wasn't even delivered - it was returned to me by USPS due to unsuccessful delivery attempts. The third time I allowed USPS to continue attempting delivery for a bit over two months but it finally ended up being returned to me - again, unopened and undelivered to them.

I have been using the same address all this time. It is the one given in the addresses section at the bottom of my credit reports and is also listed on the company's profile on the BBB website. Clearly, since the first letter was successfully delivered, it is (or at the very least was) a legitimate address for the company. Now, it seems, they are not receiving the mail.

What are my options at this point? My goal is to either have proof of this debt confirmed properly or for the account to be removed completely from my credit reports. After all this frustration, I would welcome a chance to file suit against them if I have grounds to do so. They have received my first letter which requested validation and forbade them to report during the validation period but they neither ceased to report nor send any reply as to whether or not they had reached any resolution. This alone seems to constitute at least one breach of law.

cosine

Their placement of negative information on your credit file combined with refusal to communicate regarding the matter does constitute a cause to sue. Speak with an attorney to make sure all your ducks are in a row with regard to every step of communicating with them.

Bosco

Their placement of negative information on your credit file combined with refusal to communicate regarding the matter does constitute a cause to sue. Speak with an attorney to make sure all your ducks are in a row with regard to every step of communicating with them.
Exactly. If the OP really wanted to pile on, they could send a dispute under section 623 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and when that letter goes unanswered, tack on that $1000 (per credit bureau this debt has been reported to) to the lawsuit as well.

A debt collector refusing to pick up their mail could quite literally be a goldmine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">