• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt collectors calling your work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

obsolete

i manage an engineering department. one of my employees is getting regular calls from debt collectors. he claims to have told them not to call but it seems to continue. is there a point of law regarding this activity?

thanks,

Nowata, OK.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Bosco

Violation of section 805 of the Fair Debt Collections Practice Act.

§ 805. Communication in connection with debt collection
(a) COMMUNICATION WITH THE CONSUMER GENERALLY.
Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection
of any debt—

(3) at the consumer’s place of employment if the debt collector
knows or has reason to know that the consumer’s employer prohibits the consumer from receiving such communication.
Record the calls (should be real easy to do since you're a business) and your employee telling them not to call his place of employment anymore. If they continue calling, document it all and have your employee seek out a lawyer to sue the *******s.

Let me know if you need help. My PM's are open.

TigerD

i manage an engineering department. one of my employees is getting regular calls from debt collectors. he claims to have told them not to call but it seems to continue. is there a point of law regarding this activity?

thanks,

Nowata, OK.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Perhaps it is time to replace the employee.

DC

cosine

Perhaps it is time to replace the employee.

DC
Then some debt collector will be less likely to collect on one of their accounts. I suppose you could argue that THAT debt collector deserves nothing for making violating calls. OTOH, you are out of the debt collection business, now, so maybe you don't really care if all the debtors lose their jobs and go bankrupt, taking the debt collection industry down with them.

LSCAP

Well, some DC companies are already outsourcing to foreign countries .

Which could mean that some day an unemployed DC will get a call from Pakistan demanding that he pay up or else!:eek:

Last edited:

LSCAP

Well, some DC companies are already outsourcing to foreign countries .

Which could mean that some day an unemployed DC might get a call from Pakistan demanding that he pay up or else!:eek:

Credithis

Echoing what Bosco said and he needs to enforce this in writing sent cmrrr to the CA for proof later if it continues. Yes, record the *******s. If they call again, ask the employee if you can listen in and then you can help him as a material witness.

Bosco, good to see you again help against the Pro debt collectors answering these poor people looking for help!

justalayman

first, you need to know if this is a 3rd party collections or a 1st party collections. Different rules apply to each. If a 3rd party collector (which the "debt collectors" would imply), there are specific rules that allow the debtor to demand the calls to work stop.

§ 805. Communication in connection with debt collection
(a) COMMUNICATION WITH THE CONSUMER GENERALLY. Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt—

(3) at the consumer’s place of employment if the debt collector knows or has reason to know that the consumer’s employer prohibits the consumer from receiving such communication.
an individual can personally sue the DC or they can report the violation to the Federal Trade Commission who has the power to take administrative actions.

Bosco

Then some debt collector will be less likely to collect on one of their accounts. I suppose you could argue that THAT debt collector deserves nothing for making violating calls. OTOH, you are out of the debt collection business, now, so maybe you don't really care if all the debtors lose their jobs and go bankrupt, taking the debt collection industry down with them.
You shouldn't have even bothered responding to such a moronic post.

Echoing what Bosco said and he needs to enforce this in writing sent cmrrr to the CA for proof later if it continues. Yes, record the *******s. If they call again, ask the employee if you can listen in and then you can help him as a material witness.

Bosco, good to see you again help against the Pro debt collectors answering these poor people looking for help!
Great post, and thanks for the kind words. Life has been a little hectic lately and I will probably be moving back to the midwest in the next year or so, but I had some free time so I thought I'd pop in and see what I could do.

Keep on fighting the good fight!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">