• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt collector's lien caused me $400.00 in bank fees!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olternat

Debt collector's lien cost me $400.00 in bank fees!!!

What is the name of your state? New York

Ok, lets try again. To add insult to injury I lost whatever I typed the first time because I had to re-log back in.

This past monday a lien was put against my checking account and the approximate amount was $3000.00. i only had like $60.00 altogether in the acount from my checking and savings.
I found out who the creditor was because this was out of the blue. I called them and they turned out to be a law firm based in glen cove,ny. The rep said that I owed $1800.00 but she is willing to settle for $1300.00. Even so that is very hard for me to afford right now.
We came up with an informal agreement where she would release my accounts so that I could pay her $1000.00 then pay her 50 dollars a month to make up the rest. I still asked her if she could please try to do better. And she said she would get back with her "client" to find out if she could. Somehow I don't believe her.
To her this arrangement seems reasonble but really its not. I finally got a stable job so I can get back on my feet then this happens. I didn't expect this creditor and I think its for a debt that gotten written off years ago due to unemployment. For me to do this I will have to basically give her the majority of my paycheck and put all my other bills on hold for a month till I can get back to them. Plus the fact that for 2 weeks til I get another little paycheck I will basically have to FIND money somehow for food and transportation to work.

To make matters worse the bank added $400.00 in processing and overdraft fees because of this mess. That 400 bucks would have gone to that freaking creditor!!
The creditor rep said she would go ahead and release the account but the bank says that she isn't doing her job and that once she sees money in the account from the payroll direct deposit she is liable to take the money from me straight away...bypassing any agreement we made over the phone and causing me more overdraft fees.
I also have to write a letter to the bank to get process started for the removal of the lien.

Is there anything I can do to make sure the situation doesn't get any worse?
:(

Last edited:

Debt Guy

Aaaauuugggghhhh!

This is one of the rotten things that result from a judgment. A wage garnishment is also possible. I recommend you don't tell them where you work unless you are ordered to do so by the court.

There is not much you can do except toe the line on this. You could file bankruptcy perhaps but I can't think of anything else.

JETX

olternat said:
Is there anything I can do to make sure the situation doesn't get any worse?
Other than either pay it or bankruptcy, no.
The judgment creditor has the legal right to levy your account and your bank has the right to recover their reasonable fees.

olternat

Well like a dummy I told here where I worked the first day they put the lien on the account. I just wanted to address this problem as soon as possible so I was willing to work with her.
And I was angry that I wasn't notified or warned this would happen. No warning from her or the bank. Bah! :mad:
But anyway, I struck a "deal" where I only made a $600.00 down payment and then only $50.00 a month til it gets paid off. This is the first time its happened to me and I intend for it to be the last.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">