• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Collectors Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

metabolicsaint

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My brother was put in prison back in 2013, and all his old bills are catching up. Usually my mother takes care of them due to power of attorney, but now all these bills are coming with threat of lawsuits and only thing they would be able to come after is his mortgage due to the fact I am living in house and pay the house payment. Would they be able to use house as collateral to pay off huge bills he has? I know easiest way is to try to finance house in my own name, but not possible right now and I don't really want to give up this house I am buying on contract, but it stays in his name unfortunately. Sorry if my question gets lost in this rambling, but question was "Can debt collectors come after his house to collect there money, because he is in prison and can't pay them?" Thank you!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My brother was put in prison back in 2013, and all his old bills are catching up. Usually my mother takes care of them due to power of attorney, but now all these bills are coming with threat of lawsuits and only thing they would be able to come after is his mortgage due to the fact I am living in house and pay the house payment. Would they be able to use house as collateral to pay off huge bills he has? I know easiest way is to try to finance house in my own name, but not possible right now and I don't really want to give up this house I am buying on contract, but it stays in his name unfortunately. Sorry if my question gets lost in this rambling, but question was "Can debt collectors come after his house to collect there money, because he is in prison and can't pay them?" Thank you!
They can sue him for the debt, get a judgment against him and put a lien on the house. They cannot "take" the house but he won't be able to transfer it to you, until the lien is paid off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">