• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt on credit report and can't find it or find out who it is

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommyoftowboys

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a copy of the accounts listed on my credit report. However, I have my own seperate copy of my credit report, (my husband and my own). And I am trying to contact the company listed on here. It is listed on the copy that the mortgage broker gave me, however not listed on either my husbands or my own when I pull up my credit report.
I am trying to contact this place, however doing a search comes up with a company in NY and when I call that number, they tell me they don't have any account for me or my husband.
Other searches for this company name reveal a car rental place or a cancer patient treatment camp. Two things, I have not done.

Maybe someone may know of the company, or be able to send me in the right direction.
It's for 48 dollars, and I just want to pay it and get it out the window off our credit. Unless I know it was completely off and nowhere near something my husband or I did, I probably won't dispute it.
The name of the company as listed is ACS-Collection Department and it is in Rochester MN it gives me only a po box address on it, and no phone number.

mommyoftowboys

I decided to go ahead

and order all my credit reports from all three.
It is showing up under a different one. However it says KNS Funding Inc. Which I have never heard of, and no other information of course.
It says 48 doesnt have an orginal date or anything on it.

I really have no idea what this is now.
I could have believed it was me, when ACS was a student loan collection company, although all my student loans are deferred, so it was still odd, however I did have a pell overpayment at one point paid it off, and do have a letter of paid in full, the amount was also a little more than this amount is.
I'm lost in this. Anyone have any idea?

mommyoftowboys

Please tell me I didn't do something stupid

Apparently someone is coming back and telling me that the 48 is a check that was written in 2002. I do not recall this, but However, I was young and careless its possible.
However, I wouldn't understand how I would be able to write checks.
They told me it was sent to an attorneys office and they informed me the amount was at 177 and they were going to be sending it to an attorney on August 7th to sue me. I have NEVER recieved anything about this regarding it at my parents house, which was the address they had. I also have not lived at that address for 6 years.

The group it was apparently with which took me FOREVER to find, was Affiliated Collections Group.

My sister was scammed once being told she needed to pay or they were going to sue, and it was a check she had taken care of.
I gave them my card information and he gave me contact information and told me they would send me a letter in 15 business days or I could call back to get a letter faxed to me.
How does it take that long?

b2c

Have you disputed the charge?

I went through the credit reporting agency as I was told it is not a good idea to contact creditors directly. The credit reporting agency has to prove it's a viable collection or they have to remove it from your report within 30 days of receiving the dispute letter.

Send them a certified letter with a reply they sign. It's cheap, maybe 6.00. You'll have the date they received it. Then wait about 40 days and call the credit reporting agency directly to find out what 's going on with this collector.
Good Luck

Last edited:

Perico

ACS Collections in Rochester

I found your chat bellow, and I found out today that me too had a collection issue poster by this company into my spotless credit report on a check for 38 dollars. It sounds to me by your messages and others I've found on the net that this may be a scam... what is/was your experience with this?

Ladynred

Statute of limitations on a bad check, if it exists, is 3 years, per the FDIC. Even if it DID exist, a 2002 check is beyond the LA statute of limitations too.

There IS a collection agency, Academy Collection Services, that could be this ACS, though they are based out of Pennsylvania.

Before you pay anything, demand proof that the debt is even valid. Besides, paying it will NOT help your credit, it COULD hurt it !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">