• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debt discharged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rita S

What is the name of your state? ga
A 'friend' signed a contract and promissory note on a piece of property in 1996, paid regularly until 2004 and quit paying altogether without explanation. I couldn't find him for a long time (no address/phone) and when I did I filed civil suit to collect the debt. Apparently he filed chap. 7 in 2004 but did not list me in the bankruptcy - I was never notified of the bankruptcy by the court or my 'friend'. I'm sure curious if I can collect this debt since he never listed it and it was never really discharged specifically. Any ideas?

fjcook

I believe you have the right to file against him, but be warned there have been cases where a debt not included in a bankruptcy, has been discharched later, because some judges have ruled that when a bankruptcy is discharged, it encompasses all debt known and unknown. If you have a contract and he did not adhere to the provisions, can you not reposses the property?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">