• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Negotiating Percentage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Holly Redd

What is the name of your state? FL

Is there a typical debt negotiating percentage most collection agencies accept as a lump sum settlement?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? FL

Is there a typical debt negotiating percentage most collection agencies accept as a lump sum settlement?
Stay away from debt collection agencies.

They are scams.

Negotiate directly with the credit card company (or other creditor).

Holly Redd

While the debt appears to have been sold to a collection agency, you're suggesting I ignore them and go right to the credit card company, in this case Amex? I should note however, that this agency has filed suit against me with a judgement hearing in a week.

Chien

First, what do you mean by a "judgment hearing"? What is scheduled?
Second, you've waited a little long to ask, because the price went up when they had to spend money to file.
Third, now you're better off talking to the attorney than the CA, because he/she is going to have to carry the work from here.
If you're going to do that, start yesterday, because calls will have to go back and forth to get authorization, if there will be a compromise.
The answer to your question will be "the whole thing, including costs and interest", so don't look for a set percentage. Figure out what you can realistically offer forthwith and follow-up. Then figure out the reasons that should be attractive to them without the necessity of spending more money to enforce a judgment. The justifications are innumerable and you haven't given enough information to work with in the time available.
I've been away from this forum for about a year, but DebtCollector used to have a very nice by-the-numbers checklist for handling negotiations, if you can get that far. See if you can find it using the "search" function and have it in front of you, if you get a chance to try.
The amount involved will get much bigger, if it goes through judgment.

Holly Redd

Negotiation Percentage

Thanks Chien. To clarify, I was served a summons by law firm representing Amex. I filed an answer to their complaint. (I have been trying to stall for months waiting to sell my house to pay off creditors.) Following my answer, I was notified of a hearing where I am expecting a judgement will be rendered against me for the amount.

I have finally sold my house, and am ready to negotiate with two other creditors as well. Looks like 45% discount isn't out of the question, I wondered what to expect with law firm collection but they are playing hard ball offering only 12% discount. Given hearing is a week away, I guess I'm gonna bite this one. Not having any familiarity with judgements, I posted here, wondering if I had any negotiating room other than offering a lump sum now. I did find those negotiating points, thanks! (And thanks to "debtcollector".)

Holly Redd

Negotiation Percentage

thanks Seniorjudge. The law firm is the collection agency. They of course are playing hardball with an impeding hearing. Other two credit card collection agencies are offering 40% discount to the debts. Amex, with the hearing, is offering 12%. Just looking for suggestions to a strategy that might garner greater discount - either "hey, I only have so much money, I can't make everybody happy, but they could sue me too." Hell, I'm just trying to get into the head of the dude who's playing hardball.

Chien

Try telling them the pie is only so big and can only be split so many ways. You've sold your only real property asset just to be able to clear all the debts (that tells them that they'll have to look for a bank account or garnish wages, both of which are more risky, protracted and subject to possible exemptions, than taking a lump sum - plus there are new expense for them). Make sure they know you're paying off other creditors as well. Encourage them to check, if they haven't already. Make sure they know there are other creditors who are going to be competing with them, if a complete deal isn't done. Let them know that the others offered a 40% discount to get the deal done, and you were relying on Amex to do the same, if everybody was going to get paid. Tell them "maybe" you could do (pick a number - 70-75% - you'd go up, if they would come down), but you'd have to get family/personal loans to do it, and that won't happen if you can't settle and a judgment is taken. You need a quick decision, so that you have time to try to go back and get the differential.
Now you're playing poker up to the last minute, but the alternative is to just give them what they want. None of us can guarantee who blinks first.

TigerD

Don't play chicken with Amex. They'll run over you in a heart beat.

The negotiation list Chien referenced can be found at helpwithcollections.com/articles.php

DC

Chien

I stand corrected.
DC is far more familar with the retail side. I'd listen to the voice of experience.

Ladynred

I have to agree with DC, AMEX does not 'deal'. They do play the meanest form of hardball so your attempts at negotiation are not likely to work with them. The only thing that stops them cold is bankruptcy - and even then they will fight tooth and nail.

Holly Redd

Settlement

I appreciate the comments. Finally with funds, have made a settlement agreement with Amex counsel at the 11th hour. What should one expect on credit report as a result? Settlement letter from counsel says, "account will continue to reflect the remaining balance..." Is this reflection on my credit report as well?

TigerD

I appreciate the comments. Finally with funds, have made a settlement agreement with Amex counsel at the 11th hour. What should one expect on credit report as a result? Settlement letter from counsel says, "account will continue to reflect the remaining balance..." Is this reflection on my credit report as well?
That would mean you didn't settle the account. That means he accepted what you had and will come back for more later.

Holly Redd

Settlement

I should have included the whole sentence which reads, "the account will continue to reflect the remaining blance which would need to be paid before American Express processes any further applications that you may choose to submit for American Express accounts."

Beyond this, I understand the law firm cannot do anything else but state "settlement" for which it is Amex's responsibility to state to the credit reporting agencies.

Any other ramifications I should know about having "settlement" on my report other than the fact it's clear I didn't pay the full amount?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">