• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt paid; still being harassed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quadsimojo

I paid off my student loan in 2013. Since then the Department of Education still intermittently garnishes my wages and then requires me to spend hours of my own time contacting them to request refund checks. I'm sure these periodic garnishments cannot be good for my credit. How do I stop them from doing this. It seems as if they want to just haunt me forever. Every time I question this practice they claim that my account was never closed properly and they will fix it but then it happens over and over again.

LdiJ

I paid off my student loan in 2013. Since then the Department of Education still intermittently garnishes my wages and then requires me to spend hours of my own time contacting them to request refund checks. I'm sure these periodic garnishments cannot be good for my credit. How do I stop them from doing this. It seems as if they want to just haunt me forever. Every time I question this practice they claim that my account was never closed properly and they will fix it but then it happens over and over again.
The best advice I can give you is to follow up with them about 30 days after each episode, to verify that everything has been properly closed out. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then I suggest that you contact the local office of your US senator. Believe it or not, if you are in the right, your local senator's staff might very well get the problem resolved permanently. However, this only works for federal issues. It does not work for state issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">