• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased husbands debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fancy58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ARKANSAS.
My husband and I live in Arkansas. He was having chest pains and went to the ER, here in our home town. They did not keep him, but by the weekend he was really in pain, so he went to LA. hospital. They admitted him. He spent 2 weeks in a hospital in Louisiana in the ICU and died in the hosipal. All bills were filled on his medicare. It paid, but there were balances left. I called our hometown hosiptal for the balance and I was told I did not have to pay it. Because he died, I the wife, is not responsible to pay the hunband debt. They would just write it off. However, I am getting a huge balance bill from the hosiptal from LA., wanting me to pay the bill. They sent me papers asking questions about my wages (howmuch) and so. I did not sign any papers when we cked. into the hospital. My question is, What is the LA. State Law on a wife being resposible for her husband debts. Like I said, I'm in AR. and the debt is in Lousiana. Thank you.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ARKANSAS.
My husband and I live in Arkansas.

However, I am getting a huge balance bill from the hosiptal from LA., wanting me to pay the bill.

My question is, What is the LA. State Law on a wife being resposible for her husband debts. Like I said, I'm in AR. and the debt is in Lousiana. Thank you.

Both of Arizona and Louisiana are both "Community Property States", meaning that debts are shared between Husband and Wife, even if the accounts are separate (unless stated in a prenuptial agreement).

The senior members will probably ask for more information to help you sort this out better.

cosine

Arkansas is not a community property state.

fancy58: who's name was on the bill sent to you?

justalayman

I believe there is apparently a very recent law passed in Arkansas (it was HB 2047, now known as act 1183 as of April, 05, 2011) that removed a spouses liability under the common law doctrine of necessaries. That did allow a creditor to seek the debts of a spouse for certain debts (including medical treatment). With the new law, the doctrine of necessaries is not longer a valid claim for the debt.

at least I believe it was passed.

http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/AR/HB2047

I do not know LA's position on the doctrine of necessaries.

TigerD

I believe there is apparently a very recent law passed in Arkansas (it was HB 2047, now known as act 1183 as of April, 05, 2011) that removed a spouses liability under the common law doctrine of necessaries. That did allow a creditor to seek the debts of a spouse for certain debts (including medical treatment). With the new law, the doctrine of necessaries is not longer a valid claim for the debt.

at least I believe it was passed.

Legislative Detail: AR House Bill 2047 - 88th General Assembly | eLobbyist

I do not know LA's position on the doctrine of necessaries.
Even the old law did not hold wives responsible for husbands - just kids.
Husbands, however, were responsible for their wives.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">