• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deceased son's debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allen stone

California. My son died two weeks ago without a will. His estate is worth less than $100K, so no probate is needed. Am I liable for any debts he had (he was an adult). How can I sell his vehicle and mobile home to a new owner?

Tayla

My response:
Answer to ? 1: depends if you co-signed on any loans/debts/credit cards that may have been in his & your name.
Answer #2: Speak with a lawyer on your rights if you are his next of kin. It wasnt stated if he has a spouse or children ....
The questions are vague to give valid or constructive advice...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

allen stone said:
California. My son died two weeks ago without a will. His estate is worth less than $100K, so no probate is needed. Am I liable for any debts he had (he was an adult). How can I sell his vehicle and mobile home to a new owner?

My response:

Who told you that no probate is needed?

There is "Small Estate" probate - - and in order to sell his possessions, you need to file for probate and receive orders from the court allowing your name to be placed on the various titles, or to be allowed to sell his property.

See an estate attorney.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">