• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

default judgement after offer to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sargentcarter

What is the name of your state?nc
I was served in April for some money that I was late paying. I have been a customer of this company for many years and have always been good to work with but a new credit manager changed all that. Since I wanted to pay the bill and continue to do business with them I called the attorney and asked if he would not default me and allow me to give him a payment schedule. I did not feel it necessary to get an attorney involved since it should have been a simple matter. I sent the attorney a written proposal which the credit manager rejected because of the period of time. I sent a new proposal a couple of days later which was accepted.

The problem is I recently found out that they filed for the default judgement against me the day after they rejected my first proposal! What should I do now. It has caused me a substantial amount of needless grief because of indirect problems associated with the judgement which I did not know was there.

What if any recourse do I have?

Ladynred

They can't just get a judgment they have to go thru the whole process of suing you. Were you ever served a summons ?? If not, then you may be able to challenge the judgment. Call the courthouse and ask for a copy of the judgment case file, and see what the proof of service says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">