• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dirty CA's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Prpledrms23

What is the name of your state?CA

Okay after 7 years, a debt that I did not know I had popped its ugly head. This happened in 97 and its apparently a medical bill through a University. It went to collections a couple months back and just got a notice in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Talked to the university and am waiting for the guy to call me back. I dont have a problem paying it but do I have any grounds being they waited 7 freaking years? This happened in NM

Ladynred

Yes, you certainly DO !! The statute of limitations on the old debt is LONG ago expired. SOL in CA is 4 years, SOL in NM would be 6, either way you slice it, they have lost all legal clout to collect. I'd send them a cease and desist letter telling them to get bent - to never contact you about the debt again as it is time-barred !
Also, if this happened 7 years ago, then it might even be past the legal reporting period. Exactly WHEN in 1997 did it go delinquent. They could be violating FCRA by reporting an obsolete debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">