• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disclosure Statement, Interrogatories, and Request for Admission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvmyfidgets

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I received some court notices in the mail regarding my debt case and I don't know how to respond. I don't feel I owe the debt to the Plaintiff, since the Plaintiff is the debt collection company, not the original creditor. So should I just deny owing any debt at all?

Also, in their disclosure statement, they included a bill of sale along with copies of my original credit card statements. There is no contract that I signed with them agreeing to pay them anything, so is that enough to say it is not owed?

I would like to be able to defend myself in court when it gets to that point, but I don't want to have any missteps due to my ignorance on how to handle it. I don't know how to reply to the interrogatories, I don't have any of my own original documents since this was a debt from 5 years ago. Any advice on how to respond would be greatly appreciated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I received some court notices in the mail regarding my debt case and I don't know how to respond. I don't feel I owe the debt to the Plaintiff, since the Plaintiff is the debt collection company, not the original creditor. So should I just deny owing any debt at all?

Also, in their disclosure statement, they included a bill of sale along with copies of my original credit card statements. There is no contract that I signed with them agreeing to pay them anything, so is that enough to say it is not owed?

I would like to be able to defend myself in court when it gets to that point, but I don't want to have any missteps due to my ignorance on how to handle it. I don't know how to reply to the interrogatories, I don't have any of my own original documents since this was a debt from 5 years ago. Any advice on how to respond would be greatly appreciated.

Could you please add this to your other thread.

Thanks!

I received some court notices in the mail regarding my debt case and I don't know how to respond. I don't feel I owe the debt to the Plaintiff, since the Plaintiff is the debt collection company, not the original creditor. . . in their disclosure statement, they included a bill of sale along with copies of my original credit card statements. There is no contract that I signed with them agreeing to pay them anything, so is that enough to say it is not owed?
Nope. . . You owe the $$ to whomever the original creditor assigned/sold/transferred the account to. Your defense would be "I don't owe it because I already paid it and here is the proof". But. . . sounds like you have not paid it so, if the account was properly assigned to the JDB you now owe the $$ to it and the only question really is whether or not any payment you did make was properly applied.

You can file a response to (I assume) the Motion for Summary Judgment (or a general denial if you are at the Answer to Complaint stage), but if the JDB has all its ducks in a row, eventually a judgment will be entered against you.

How much is alleged as owed????

Des.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">