• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do CA's handle phone bills differently per FCC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buddynblue

What is the name of your state? California
I have an old debt from Pac-Bell, now SBC, that has gone to collections and has doubled with late payment charges. I tried to settle with the CA for the original amount, but they tell me FCC regulations say they cant settle on a phone bill. My question is, as a CA, are they governed by the same laws as the phone co? Thank you in advance for any information.

T

Tired_of_trying

okay, they cant settle (supposedly). WHAT are the charges which doubled the account for? Are you taking to a collection agency ( more than likely "in-house) or the original creditor?

B

buddynblue

Tired: They told me they are an outside agency which purchased the account from pacbell. the original debt is $447, which is what I'm trying to offer them. the late payment charges are $356, accumulated at 1.5%/month. So what I need to know is, if they are not affiliated with the phone co, why cant they settle? Would they lie about that?
Thanks.

T

Tired_of_trying

NO,, I don't think they will lie about it.

That is a lot of interest to rack up at 1.5% monthly, it must be way past the point of the phone co taking it back and dealing with you.

Tell them you will make payments of 50 dollars a month , if you can afford that, but do not do electronic checks or automatic withdrawals, period. Tell them you will mail them a monry order the 16th of every month or a date and amount convienient and possible for you. I am jusy offering a suggestion is all, from my own past experiences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">