• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does a car have to be refinanced to remove me from the loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bpenney

alabama: I went through a divorce 3 years ago. The car that we owned together was in my name, along with the loan that helped pay for it. I am asking my ex to take my name off of the loan and the car since it's her car. She is okay with this but we are unsure of what needs to be done next. I was under the impression she would have to refinance the car in order to do this, but she says that I can just sign a bill of sale and that it will work that way. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions, she has messed me up before and I don't want to go down that road again. What should I do to ensure that I am free and clear of any obligation to this car/loan, and that it doesn't affect my credit in the future?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
alabama: I went through a divorce 3 years ago. The car that we owned together was in my name, along with the loan that helped pay for it. I am asking my ex to take my name off of the loan and the car since it's her car. She is okay with this but we are unsure of what needs to be done next. I was under the impression she would have to refinance the car in order to do this, but she says that I can just sign a bill of sale and that it will work that way. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions, she has messed me up before and I don't want to go down that road again. What should I do to ensure that I am free and clear of any obligation to this car/loan, and that it doesn't affect my credit in the future?
The lender would have to agree to release you from the responsibility for the car. From what I can see, you have a few options to accomplish this.

A: You can pay off the car (sure bet).
B: You can get the car refinanced (sure bet).
C: You can get the lender to agree to remove you from the title and to release you from responsibility for the loan (not a chance in heck without A or B taking place).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">