• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error in a Summons I was Served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IMPTH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington.

I was just served with a summons for debt collection. I read it over, and found this:

II.
The defendant, XXX, is believed to be a married individual and as such incurred the below-referenced separate and community obligation.

I'm not married, though--I'm a single mom. Is there any way that I can use this to avoid the suit?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

cosine

If you really owe this, then an error like this is trivial to the court, meaning, there is no point in considering it. It's like a typo in the spelling of your name. If it is your debt and you got the service, then they fulfilled service. Now proceed with the appropriate steps. If by chance you actually can get the lawsuit dismissed, they will just correct the error and sue again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">