• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction resulting in Wage Garnishment - never served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

86ncee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

Can I get out of an eviction debt if I was not served papers for wage garnishment? How can I find out? What is proper procedure for serving papers?

I have been told by a collector of an eviction debt for nearly ten thousand dollars - that I was summonsed and they went to court and sued me for the debt so that they can pursue wage garnishment. The debt is 3 years old - Colorado. They have my correct mailing address because I received a letter from the collection agency warning me that a summons had been sent and I should contact to settle before the date of court on the summons. I never received any notice from the court, no summons or anything else. When I called them they said they'd already won in court. I asked if I contact the court then to set up payments and they said no I still set it up with them. THey laid out many options - none of which I can afford to pay. Who do I contact to make sure they went to court? What can I do if they did since I was never summonsed?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

Can I get out of an eviction debt if I was not served papers for wage garnishment? How can I find out? What is proper procedure for serving papers?

I have been told by a collector of an eviction debt for nearly ten thousand dollars - that I was summonsed and they went to court and sued me for the debt so that they can pursue wage garnishment. The debt is 3 years old - Colorado. They have my correct mailing address because I received a letter from the collection agency warning me that a summons had been sent and I should contact to settle before the date of court on the summons. I never received any notice from the court, no summons or anything else. When I called them they said they'd already won in court. I asked if I contact the court then to set up payments and they said no I still set it up with them. THey laid out many options - none of which I can afford to pay. Who do I contact to make sure they went to court? What can I do if they did since I was never summonsed?
I would start by contacting the clerk in the county in which the alleged debt arose (county you were evicted) to see if and when a complaint/judgment was filed/entered.

Further, in my experience with debt collection agencies...they don't tend to assist you much. They just want your money. I'm not surprised that they aren't being very helpful.

Finally, the debt collection agency appears to be giving conflicting information, if what you state is true. They say to contact them to settle before the date of court, but also tell you there is nothing you can do. Sounds fishy, unless you waited a long period of time between receipt of the letter and your phone call. I'd investigate this issue prior to paying them a dime. I would also recommend seeking counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">