• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband not making car payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

techchick

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Nearly 4 years ago I was divorced. In the decree, my ex-husband was given possession of one of the cars, which was titled and financed jointly. He was to pay all insurance, fees, license, and payments to the bank making the loan. Evidently, he has not been doing this as the attorney for the bank has sent me a letter demanding payment, which is about $3110. I cannot afford to pay off the car myself, as I am paying on my car plus in a consumer credit counseling program for the past 13 months to get out of all past debts. He has poor credit and likely cannot pay off the car either. I really do not want the repossession on my record since I am trying to get in the clear. I know legally they can go after me, but since it is in the divorce agreement, is there anything I can do? Thank you for your help.

JETX

techchick said:
is there anything I can do?
Regretably, your situation is very common... and there is really little you can do.
Your options:
1) To make the payments yourself and then sue your ex for your 'damages' (payments you made on his behalf), or
2) Consider filing a motion for contempt in the original family court, due to his failure to follow the court order.

If he is really a deadbeat, either of the above could drive him to file for bankruptcy, and you would then get stuck with the payments anyway. There is no really good answer here that will assure your not getting stuck in some way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">