• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely Co-Signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kyoshiro_47

Oregon, but now living in Arizona. I drove a friend to a car dealership to pick up a jeep. I was then told I had to co-sign for him before they would give it to him. After I agreed and filled out the form, the manager informed us that my friend did not need a cosigner. I asked to not be put on the loan and the salesman agreed to take me off. Skip ahead a year and I'm getting calls and letters about the Jeep being repossessed and me owing money. Do I have any legal option here? It's essentially my word vs the salesman and I'm worried because I did fill out the paper before he agreed not to put me on the loan.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oregon, but now living in Arizona. I drove a friend to a car dealership to pick up a jeep. I was then told I had to co-sign for him before they would give it to him. After I agreed and filled out the form, the manager informed us that my friend did not need a cosigner. I asked to not be put on the loan and the salesman agreed to take me off. Skip ahead a year and I'm getting calls and letters about the Jeep being repossessed and me owing money. Do I have any legal option here? It's essentially my word vs the salesman and I'm worried because I did fill out the paper before he agreed not to put me on the loan.
You can pay the loan and sue your "friend" (some friend, huh?)

adjusterjack

You signed. That's all it took.

Nothing else matters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">