• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father deceased, am I responsible for his Medical Bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Samanthalyn2

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Illinois :confused: My father recently had a massive heart attack and although every effort was made to revive him, he did in fact pass away. He was not married at the time and myself and my two other sisters were his only children. We are all 3 married and have families of our own. We have taken it upon ourselves to pay his telephone and light bills and some other small bills that we could afford, but we are receiving hospital bills in the tens of thousands of dollars and can in no way afford this. Are we legally responsible for them?

Dandy Don

No. His estate would have been responsible for paying the hospital bills if there had been enough money in it. Since there is not, you can inform any creditors by phone or by mail that unfortunately there will be no payments sent because the estate is bankrupt. The hospital is eventually going to write it off as bad debt anyway after a couple of years.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
you can inform any creditors by phone or by mail that unfortunately there will be no payments sent because the estate is bankrupt.
And of course, that post be DD is NOT correct.

First, do NOT tell anyone that the "estate is bankrupt" as they will immediately ask you to provide a copy of the bankruptcy filing.

Second, since no one knows the FACTS of his assets, it is very likely that it is not as 'simple' as DD has implied. For example, there is nothing in your post that says your father has an estate or not. Someone is going to have to review his assets and determine what legal process, if any, is required as to his estate.

As for his personal debts, none of you are liable for them.

I suggest you do some research on what may be required to close his affairs. There is some good Illinois information at:
http://www.illinois-attorney.com/probate.htm
http://www.illinois-attorney.com/lp10.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">