• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fed Tax refund They stole my money with out any warning. What do I do ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhinky1986

Minnesota
I just filed my taxes. My fed return was taken "offset" to pay for a default loan. I knew nothing about this loan. Apparently it went in to collection and I was never informed. Never got mail, phone, or email about this loan. I had consolidated all my Fed student loans long time ago with sally mea, but apparently they did not do all. I did some digging and apparently great lakes, Got 4 of my loans. They never contacted me. So now I don't have any money for my 1 year old. Can't buy tires for car, can't feed my child, cloth him. They stole my money with out any warning. What do I do ???

LdiJ

Minnesota
I just filed my taxes. My fed return was taken "offset" to pay for a default loan. I knew nothing about this loan. Apparently it went in to collection and I was never informed. Never got mail, phone, or email about this loan. I had consolidated all my Fed student loans long time ago with sally mea, but apparently they did not do all. I did some digging and apparently great lakes, Got 4 of my loans. They never contacted me. So now I don't have any money for my 1 year old. Can't buy tires for car, can't feed my child, cloth him. They stole my money with out any warning. What do I do ???
There is nothing that you can do. They did not "steal" your money. It was taken to cover a valid federal debt. If you do not want it to happen again next year, then you need to find out where you stand with those loans and deal with them.

PaulMass

There's nothing you can to about they refund they intercepted.

Going forward, you can adjust your withholdings so you get your money in your paycheck instead of waiting for the government to send it to you (or not)

single317dad

There is no theft here. Apparently you did not keep your contact information up to date with the people you owe money to. Plan on missing your future tax refunds as well.

There is a review process available.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-challenge-student-loan-tax-refund-offset.html

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Refunds-May-Be-Applied-to-Offset-Certain-Debts

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Going forward, you can adjust your withholdings so you get your money in your paycheck instead of waiting for the government to send it to you (or not)
Tax payments during the year aren't the only thing that was being "refunded".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">