• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fees for impound time of a car not registered to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lancelot33

So here's what happened

Almost 2 years ago I bought a car with stolen tags and backed fees, unknowningly of course. I proceeded to pay some of the fees to get the car registered but when attempting to smog, figured out that the car had too many problems and I could afford to pay for them.

The car ended up breaking down a few months later and I could not fix it because the engine had failed and again not worth fixing. I tried to sell the car for scrap but no one would buy it because I didn't have a pink slip because the car was never fully registered. The car was parked in a free public spot for almost 6 months until it was towed to a police garage.

The car was sold at auction recently. The tow yard says I was responsible for the car and need to pay the backed impound fees over 1500$. The tow yard claims my name was partially registered to the car even though I did a title search for the car and my name is not listed. The tow yard sent me bills but now has handed it off to a collection agency. Some one please help me find a way to get out of this I am feeling like I am getting the shaft on this one! Appreciate any help I can get, thank you.

CdwJava

Your name may not have been on the TITLE, but, was the vehicle REGISTERED to you? Or, did you ever submit a release of liability in your name?

The tow yard will have difficulty collecting from you if you are not the registered or titled owner, and there was never a release of liability in your name. Very often, they threaten anyone they can who is associated with the vehicle even if they are not someone they could legally collect from.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">