• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filed for loan repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bethy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa for me, nj for ex
Got married 10/07, in 2/08, I took out a loan to get new hubby`s house out of foreclosure (no knowledge of this prior) w/ the promise that his house would be on market and I'd be repaid in 6 weeks. Total drama the next 4 years and marriage counseling from 3/08 until divorced was filed (final 5/14). His house never went up for sale, he never paid me back. He makes you double my salary (I'm a secretary) and never did know where his money went - always "broke" and did not help w/ bills where we lived. In separation agreement, I agreed to lower amt if he paid me 500/ month until it`s paid off. He only paid a few, we even bartered work for payment a few months, but he totally stopped a year ago. I met w/ lawyer who drew up separation agreement and he wrote ex a letter in 10/14 stating due to non-payment, the 5500 (remainder....never added interest either) is due in 30 days. Not only did he not respond, he asked to borrow money as his house was getting foreclosed. Today I finally filed a civil suit in his two court. Was told everything I in order and paid th filing fee. Back when in counseling, the counselor felt my ex would quit his job if his paycheck were garnished. This is my first civil case so I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone know what nj (burlington city) usually does?

Proserpina

Unfortunately getting the judgment is the easy part - collecting is a different matter. You wouldn't believe how many people would rather tank their own credit than pay off something they owe.

With that said, have you tried filing for contempt?

Bethy

not yet

I am often too patient, but an incident last weekend had me riled up to finally file. I didn't know if there was a protocol that the court uses (garnish payck., lien on home, whatever) for this stuff. His credit was not even 500 when we were married (I was stupid and believed what he said $$$ wise) so he doesn't care if it tanks. Expensive lesson....always get credit check.

LdiJ

I am often too patient, but an incident last weekend had me riled up to finally file. I didn't know if there was a protocol that the court uses (garnish payck., lien on home, whatever) for this stuff. His credit was not even 500 when we were married (I was stupid and believed what he said $$$ wise) so he doesn't care if it tanks. Expensive lesson....always get credit check.
You can actually do it all, garnish his paycheck, levy his bank accounts and put a lien on his home.

However, if the house is in foreclosure again, its too late for a lien to do you any good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">