• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Letter from DebtCollector sent to prev address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chryder

What is the name of your state? AZ

I sent an earlier letter concerning a debt that was more than 13 years old. The letter announcing the attempt to collect the debt was sent to a previous address. (The resident that occupied the house after passed the letter on to me.)

I am sending a cease and desist letter and request for validation of the debt and for proof that the debt is not time time-barred.

Should I reference in any way that the letter was originally not sent to my current legal address? Does it matter, in any case? And, in my cease and desist letter, is there any reason not to use my current address as the return address?

Thanks.

chryder

TigerD

chryder said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

I sent an earlier letter concerning a debt that was more than 13 years old. The letter announcing the attempt to collect the debt was sent to a previous address. (The resident that occupied the house after passed the letter on to me.)

I am sending a cease and desist letter and request for validation of the debt and for proof that the debt is not time time-barred.

Should I reference in any way that the letter was originally not sent to my current legal address? Does it matter, in any case? And, in my cease and desist letter, is there any reason not to use my current address as the return address?

Thanks.

chryder
You are actually sending a Cease and desist and a request for validation? Do you even know what those terms mean?

Look it up -- you are so lost that I don't even know where to begin to help you.

chryder

debtcollector` said:
You are actually sending a Cease and desist and a request for validation? Do you even know what those terms mean?

Look it up -- you are so lost that I don't even know where to begin to help you.
If I weren't "lost" I wouldn't be asking the question. I am using a form letter pointed to by previous posts on this forum. And this letter... nah, I'm not going to play with you, "debt collector."

If there is someone knowledgeable who does not mind my lack of the finer points of the legal terminology involved in these kinds of issues, I'd be grateful for any comments or other help.

Thanks.

chryder

TigerD

chryder said:
If I weren't "lost" I wouldn't be asking the question. I am using a form letter pointed to by previous posts on this forum. And this letter... nah, I'm not going to play with you, "debt collector."

If there is someone knowledgeable who does not mind my lack of the finer points of the legal terminology involved in these kinds of issues, I'd be grateful for any comments or other help.

Thanks.

chryder
Okay -- I'll spell it out real slow for you.

If you send a Cd and a validation request, you negate the CD and basically waste your time. If the CA chooses to honor your CD over the validation request, you will receive nothing and be exactly where you are right now.

You can request validation; you can send a CD -- but doing both will tell the CA that you fresh tasty meat to be chewed up and spit out.

1. There is no such entity as time-barred. What you mean is out of stat. There is only one or two states where actively collecting or suing on an OOS debt is barred -- and yours isn't one of them.
2. The collection agency has the option to sue in either your location or the location where the orginal agreement is signed. If you aren't present to argue the SOL, the you are SOL.
3. The debt isn't going to go away. It will be sold and resold and resold. And each new agency will start the process over again. You will save a lot of time and trouble and heartburn by simply cutting a deal with them. **That isn't saying you are right or wrong -- just that it is ultimately cheaper and easier to just pay them off.**
4. You need to decide if you want to resolve the issue or play games. Then do it.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">