• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign Company is Claiming I Owe Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TickledLizard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Because this involves a foreign company, I don't know how much help I will be able to get, but it is worth a shot.

On August 2nd, I received two emails from a company informing me that I have an outstanding balance with them. I kindly informed them that this was the first time I ever heard of their company, and of any kind of contract which I had withe them. We then got into a back and forth discussion via email that somebody must have used my personal information to register with their company, and they told me that if I get a police report stating that I was the victim of Identity Theft, they would close the claim.

However, when I asked for proof with some kind of information of on how they got my information, and whether they used my credit card etc in order to fill out a report, since this was more of the jurisdiction of a National Governmental Department, they refused, citing "private data protection". Following that, they refused to respond to any more emails, and about 3 weeks later, I got two letters in the mail from them.

Yesterday morning, I received two emails from a collection agency on behalf of the company, informing me that they were now taking charge of the debt collection, and any further correspondence should be to them. At that point, I replied to both of the emails with letters asking for proof that I was the one responsible for the debts, along with snippets from consumer protection laws.

Today they responded that I didn't give them any new information, and I should just read what they sent me yesterday, and just pay up.

I responded to them already, but seeing as how I will probably get the same email from them again as the ones I got today, what should my next step be?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Stop responding to them and by any means do not give them any sort of personal infomration or payment. You're geing scammed.
Real debtors and collection agents do not work through cagey emails.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did anyone else get a chuckle out of the threat the OP made by mentioning a "National Governmental Department"?

LdiJ

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of the threat the OP made by mentioning a "National Governmental Department"?
I did, but its actually kind of funny since its probably foreign scammers and they might actually buy that.:D

AdoptADog

I get phone calls all the time from someone with an accent claiming to be from the "Internal Revenue Department," and that he has a legal case against me. I need to call right away to settle it before it goes to court.

I keep blocking the numbers he's using, and I haven't been served court papers yet.

Ah the joys of modern livin'.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

... I responded to them already, but seeing as how I will probably get the same email from them again as the ones I got today, what should my next step be?
You can report the company to your state's Attorney General and you can file a report with the FTC. The worst thing you can do is to respond, especially to requests for personal information.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/Filing-a-Consumer-Complaint

http://www.usa.gov/stop-scams-frauds

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">