• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer trying to collect overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Turpulushin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey and Missouri

I worked for a New Jersey based company for 4.5 years. After leaving I went to school in Missouri. Currently I have no income and I'm living solely off of student loans. 8 months later, I receive a nasty letter from a collections agency demanding I pay my former company back for an overpayment I never even knew occurred. My former company never contacted me and just sent it to a collections agency. I offered to pay a lesser sum but the offer was rejected and they demanded that I pay the full amount, which I have no way of acquiring. Today I received a nasty letter from a Missouri based law office demanding the money and that I have 30 days to respond. What do I do? I'm more than willing to pay back what I can, but my former employer needs to be willing to negotiate since the error was theirs in the first place. How do I proceed? The letter was not sent via certified mail so I'm afraid to respond to it because then it would confirm that I received it. I don't want to have to declare bankruptcy and lost my student loans. Please respond if you have any idea regarding my situation. Thanks.

LdiJ

I worked for a New Jersey based company for 4.5 years. After leaving I went to school in Missouri. Currently I have no income and I'm living solely off of student loans. 8 months later, I receive a nasty letter from a collections agency demanding I pay my former company back for an overpayment I never even knew occurred. My former company never contacted me and just sent it to a collections agency. I offered to pay a lesser sum but the offer was rejected and they demanded that I pay the full amount, which I have no way of acquiring. Today I received a nasty letter from a Missouri based law office demanding the money and that I have 30 days to respond. What do I do? I'm more than willing to pay back what I can, but my former employer needs to be willing to negotiate since the error was theirs in the first place. How do I proceed? The letter was not sent via certified mail so I'm afraid to respond to it because then it would confirm that I received it. I don't want to have to declare bankruptcy and lost my student loans. Please respond if you have any idea regarding my situation. Thanks.
What evidence have they provided you of the overpayment? How much money are we talking about?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Why do you think you would lose your student loans if you declare bankruptcy?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What kind of overpayment? Have they provided you with any evidence?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">