• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found lean on my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcoul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Calgary, Canada. I bought a car two years ago from a private seller for $4,400. Trying to trade it in now at a car dealer, they enquired and came back to me telling me there is a lean for $5,000+ on my car, from a financing company in Texas. The vehicle's value now would be $1,000.

Is there a risk that the car dealer's enquiry trigerred the financing company's system and that they come after me now?

If so, is it the vehicle only I risk losing or could they come after me for the difference, knowing that the vehicle's value is low?

Am I stuck with that car until I take it for destruction? And would they take it?

What is my risk and how can I get out of this situation? I don't dare calling the financing company to not flag myself as the owner of the vehicle.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Calgary, Canada. I bought a car two years ago from a private seller for $4,400. Trying to trade it in now at a car dealer, they enquired and came back to me telling me there is a lean for $5,000+ on my car, from a financing company in Texas. The vehicle's value now would be $1,000.

Is there a risk that the car dealer's enquiry trigerred the financing company's system and that they come after me now?

If so, is it the vehicle only I risk losing or could they come after me for the difference, knowing that the vehicle's value is low?

Am I stuck with that car until I take it for destruction? And would they take it?

What is my risk and how can I get out of this situation? I don't dare calling the financing company to not flag myself as the owner of the vehicle.

Thanks
What was the name of your state again?
(There are only 50+2 acceptable answers and Calgary ain't one of them)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I respectfully disagree: The CORRECT and ACCURATE legal answer is ---

(There are only 50+2 acceptable answers and Calgary ain't one of them, eh.)
Wow - it took me 3 times of reading that before I caught it. Thanks for the correction!

TigerD

lol ... I am obviously not a lawyer - it took me five times of reading to catch that.

But I would counter that this is a question of US law as it details collections from a Texas company regarding a car that was permanently removed from the country, which I am sure was a breech of the contract and possibly a criminal offense(?) and is going to result in an unpleasant experience for the OP.

DC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">