• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend sent me money in PayPal and suddenly claims "unauthorized transaction"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ribbitgirl12

Friend sent me money in PayPal and suddenly claims "unauthorized transaction"

Long story short, my "friend" helped me out through some difficult times. He sent me money via the Paypal Family and Friend's service over the course of 6 months or so. It was a significant amount of money but there was no rush to pay him back, according to him. I checked my email earlier and got multiple 'we are looking at unauthorized charges' in your account from PP's service email. I now have a HUGE negative PP balance because this guy decided to say they were all unauthorized.

How can I dispute it? I mean its kind of obvious that a responsible adult would notice early on if that much $$$ were to suddenly disappear from their bank in the case that it was fraud. He couldn't even dispute all the $$$ because some happened earlier than 180 days ago. He is not talking to me or responding back to any of my messages. What should I do? I will have a very difficult time paying my negative balance and I certainly don't want anyone coming after me. Most of our exchanges occurred electronically and I frequently delete messages to clear up some space.

single317dad

By telling Paypal that the charges were unauthorized, your friend is claiming that someone made those charges without his consent. While that's obviously not the case, I can't guarantee you that Paypal will not decide in his favor. Eventually someone will review all the evidence provided, and decide whether or not to reverse one or more of the payments. With Paypal it's a bit of a crapshoot, and providing evidence in your favor doesn't necessarily equate to a decision to your benefit.

It's unfortunate that you've deleted messages that could have helped prove that he sent the money voluntarily. I recommend you collect any evidence you do have and send it to the Paypal representative who will review the transactions.

You're going to have to pay someone back eventually, so whether you repay Paypal or your (ex)-friend isn't that important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">