• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frozen Bank Account due to Medical Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? FL

Hello all, I would appreciate any and all advice here. Ok this is my problem, in 2005 there was a judgment against me for a medical bill from my son's birth which was in VA, I never signed nor received anything in the mail because they had the wrong address for me.

that is not their fault. You knew you gave birth and there was a bill somewhere. Noone gets free medical.

About a year ago these people froze our (me & my son's father) bank account until we paid them 1,000. We ended up talking to them, explaining they had the wrong address, I have no problem paying the orginial 795 debt, but I hadn't even known any of this. Well we paid them, told them our current address, which is also on my bank account, my state license, all our bills and has been the same for the last 4 years. They were supposed to send us paperwork setting up a payment plan for the remaining payment, which is all attorney's fees and interest.

I am confused. You state you paid them and tried to set up a payment plan. I am guessing you made a small token payment to appease them?

We call them and last year they changed our address but AGAIN they have some different address for me!!!!

so you didn't make the payments on the plan because they changed the address and it went to the wrong place. Again, you knew the bill existed and you are obligated to pay even if you do not get a statement in the mail and you didn't.

This week I find out again they have frozen our entire account.

well, they gave you the chance to pay and you didn't. What do you expect?

This is the account that my fiancee pays child support out of and all the money in the account is from his wages. I am a stay at home mom. How can they take 100% of everything we have?

They can if they have a judgement against youwhich it is obvious they have. You now owe the bill, interest, attorneys fee's, etc. Would have been better to pay the bill in the first place.

ISn't this harrassment to pay a debt, they are forcing us, if we don't pay another 1000 to them, they will not release ALL of our money, which I had just done our taxes as well and that is being deposited into that account and have no way to stop it. We have tried talking to these people and they could care less, they are making no exceptions, they just want their money.

Correct, they want was is legally due and gave you every opportunity to pay and you didn't. Now, they are going to force you to!!!!!

Is this legal and is there anything I can do???

yes, legal and you can change it by paying them.

The remainder of the bill is all interest, attorney's fees, and court costs for something I was never notified about. How can they find my bank account which has the right address and phone number and not notify us?? This is everything we have. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?[/QUOTE]

you know, you were notified. You had a baby, owed them, didn't pay them, got in trouble, they worked out a payment plan with you, you didn't pay them and now you are mad. PAY THEM AND THEY WILL GO AWAY!!!!!

NASCAR_Devil

Hello all, I would appreciate any and all advice here. Ok this is my problem, in 2005 there was a judgment against me for a medical bill from my son's birth which was in VA, I never signed nor received anything in the mail because they had the wrong address for me. About a year ago these people froze our (me & my son's father) bank account until we paid them 1,000. We ended up talking to them, explaining they had the wrong address, I have no problem paying the orginial 795 debt, but I hadn't even known any of this. Well we paid them, told them our current address, which is also on my bank account, my state license, all our bills and has been the same for the last 4 years. They were supposed to send us paperwork setting up a payment plan for the remaining payment, which is all attorney's fees and interest. We call them and last year they changed our address but AGAIN they have some different address for me!!!! This week I find out again they have frozen our entire account. This is the account that my fiancee pays child support out of and all the money in the account is from his wages. I am a stay at home mom. How can they take 100% of everything we have? ISn't this harrassment to pay a debt, they are forcing us, if we don't pay another 1000 to them, they will not release ALL of our money, which I had just done our taxes as well and that is being deposited into that account and have no way to stop it. We have tried talking to these people and they could care less, they are making no exceptions, they just want their money. Is this legal and is there anything I can do??? The remainder of the bill is all interest, attorney's fees, and court costs for something I was never notified about. How can they find my bank account which has the right address and phone number and not notify us?? This is everything we have. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state?
Check the county website or go to the courthouse and see if you can obtain a copy of the judgement. Here is a listing of FL exemptions that may come in handy as well:

In general, a debtor may claim exemption of his homestead and non-exempt personal property from attachment or execution of a judgment, or in a bankruptcy proceeding.
Any person may claim exemption of his or her homestead from forced sale under any process of law by recording a written statement containing a description of the real property, mobile home, or modular home claimed to be exempt and declaring that the real property, mobile home, or modular home is the homestead of the party in whose behalf such claim is being made, with the Circuit Court , (Section 222.01.)
Certain personal property is allowed by law or by the State Constitution to be exempt from levy and sale, the debtor may claim such personal property to be exempt from sale by making, within 15 days after the date of the levy, an inventory of his or her personal property. (Section 222.061.) Personal property which may be exempt include certain portion of wages (Section 222.11), life insurance policies (Section 222.13), annuity contract (Section 222.14), unemployment compensation benefits (Section 222.15), disability benefits (Section 222.18), pension and retirement funds (Section 222.21), motor vehicle up to a value of $1,000 and interest in any professionally prescribed health aids for the debtor or a dependent of the debtor (Section 222.25).

Section 55.146 of the Florida Statutes further provide that all property of a judgment debtor where the judgment is in favor of any state for failure to pay that state's income tax on benefits received from a pension or other retirement plan is exempt from forced sale under process of any court, and no such judgment or execution based thereon shall be a lien on such property.
In accordance with the provision of s. 522(b) of the Bankruptcy Code of 1978 (11 U.S.C. s. 522(b)), residents of this state shall not be entitled to the federal exemptions provided in s. 522(d) of the Bankruptcy Code of 1978 (11 U.S.C. s. 522(d)). (Section 222.20.) However, an individual debtor under the federal Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978 may exempt, in addition to any other exemptions allowed under state law, any property listed in subsection (d)(10) of s. 522 of that act. (Section 222.201.)

Last edited:

halloween41

that is not their fault. You knew you gave birth and there was a bill somewhere. Noone gets free medical.

I am confused. You state you paid them and tried to set up a payment plan. I am guessing you made a small token payment to appease them?

Yes I knew I gave birth and I do not expect free medical. This was a portion of the bill that my insurance didn't want to pay and I was disputing. The "token" payment that was made was 1,000 which was more than the debt in the first place. The only payment they would accept was the 1,000, which was a forced payment, and I signed a fax back to them giving them the correct address and that they were to send me a payment voucher for the remaining balance. They were given all of my information. I have no problem nor am I disputing the debt, what I am disputing is that it is legal for them to freeze 100% of a joint account without any notification to me.

TigerD

Yes I knew I gave birth and I do not expect free medical. This was a portion of the bill that my insurance didn't want to pay and I was disputing. The "token" payment that was made was 1,000 which was more than the debt in the first place. The only payment they would accept was the 1,000, which was a forced payment, and I signed a fax back to them giving them the correct address and that they were to send me a payment voucher for the remaining balance. They were given all of my information. I have no problem nor am I disputing the debt, what I am disputing is that it is legal for them to freeze 100% of a joint account without any notification to me.
I am now actually laughing. Seriously, I called two of my collectors over to read this thread. We will be laughing about this for sometime. You have a judgment against you and you actually had the audacity to demand they send you payment vouchers???

I would put the boots to you if you took that attitude with me. Yes they can freeze your accounts and take every non-exempt asset you have. It is time for you to wake up and take care of paying this judgment. Interest is accruing daily.

DC

Johnny O

This is the reason DC is on this site to find laughter on other peoples problems.
Dont you have a life guy, all you do is badger and talk down to posters. Is your life that Bad.

halloween41

This is the reason DC is on this site to find laughter on other peoples problems.
Dont you have a life guy, all you do is badger and talk down to posters. Is your life that Bad.
Thank you. I thought I was the only one who thought I got a crappy reply from DC, but then I saw "professional debt collector" and now it all makes sense. You must be so good in your profession that you have all this free time to sit and respond with answers that don't even make sense. Yeah pay your bill. Good advice. That wasn't my question. I came on here looking for help to a problem where I thought there might be people who could actually help me, not be rude to me. I also worked for collections for AMEX for 4 years, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to collect money from people. There are laws and fair debt practices, I know all about that. Thanks for your post which I got absolutely nothing from, and that "boot" you know where you can take it...glad you could get some laughter out of your pitiful life.

You know what I find endlessly interesting? The fact that deadbeats, like alcoholics or drug addicts, blame their problems on anything and everything but their own actions.

Amazing. I'm with you, Zigner, sounds like deadbeats to me!

so you disputed a bill because that was insurance did not pay!!!!!! That is a deadbeat. You dispute bills when you are not sure they are yours, not to delay having to pay them. You knew the bill was yours!!!!!!!!!!!! What they did was legal, they took you to court, got a judgement, you still didn't pay and now they are forcing collection!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it and pay!!!!

If I read the original thread correctly, OP knew in 2005 that the judgment existed, but did not challenge the judgment then.

In the last two years, OP was able to call the creditor (twice) and fax something back to them (once) and to mail at least one payment (or otherwise make arrangements for that payment to be made). However, OP made no efforts to make any other payments.

Other than one payment, OP has not done anything to get the debt paid. However, after three years, OP and other posters are upset because the creditor proceeded to exercise their collection rights.

OP, you could have sent a small amount every month, beginning in 2005, and this whole issue would be behind you. You knew this debt was out there and knew you had a judgment, and yet you didn't address the issue. That's why you are getting so much flak from others.

What, exactly, is it that you want to accomplish at this point? Sounds like your bank account is garnished. Is there enough money in the account to cover all amounts owed, or will you still owe money?

Antigone*

I would put the boots to you if you took that attitude with me. Yes they can freeze your accounts and take every non-exempt asset you have. It is time for you to wake up and take care of paying this judgment. Interest is accruing daily.

DC
I really hope those boots have got steel toes DC !!!:rolleyes:

Johnny O

This post has gone down hill thanks to all the genious replys. I wonder why they all have the same thoughts about Deadbeats, you know what they say, if you can spot it, you got it.

halloween41

so you disputed a bill because that was insurance did not pay!!!!!! That is a deadbeat. You dispute bills when you are not sure they are yours, not to delay having to pay them. You knew the bill was yours!!!!!!!!!!!! What they did was legal, they took you to court, got a judgement, you still didn't pay and now they are forcing collection!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it and pay!!!!
I thought this was a legal forum with people who actually had intelligence and courtesy but I guess not. I did not know of the bill, the court case, or any of this until 2007. Yes I obviously gave birth and I guess when I was in labor I should have had my pen and paper ready to list all the extra people that were needed bc my son was born premature, must have been all that crack I smoked. The reason for the dispute in the first case since you seem so interested, was that the doctor gave my son half a circumsicion. The insurance did not pay for the circumsicion at all and yep I absolutely disputed that. A dr screws my kid up and I am supposed to say here is your bill in total. My credit is excellent, so obviously I know the concept of writing a bill. I'm sorry but in my book that is reason for a dispute. I am not a drug addict you crazy idiots, I am a mom with 2 kids. I also have a lawyer now who after reviewing everything has found that this is ILLEGAL since I was never served court papers or any documents in the first place. My post was never, do I owe a bill? Yeah I think that was established. Thank you for all the idiotic responses, that I have found quite intelligent. It takes a lot to call people drug addict and alcholics over the internet because you don't have the balls (whether you were born with them or not) to say these things to people in real life. Have fun posting on this forum with all of your free time you have in life. I wonder why it is you have sooooo much free time? Hmmm...something to ponder. Well I'm off to smoke my crack pipe and not pay any bills**************...... So thanks for the "legal" advice since after speaking to an actual LAWYER that is taking this case I have all the help I need. and yep it takes one to spot one. Absolutely.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">