• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Future Spouses Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

komunikate

Washington, My fiance has 2 or 3 loans that he has been very slowly paying on. When we are married would they be able to come after me for the debt if we do not have a pre-nup. Will this also keep debtors from garnishing my paycheck for his debt with a pre-nup?

rezguy

a Pre-nup would probably help to document your assets/debt..Although WA is a CP State each individuals' debts prior to marriage do not become a community debt after marriage

Last edited:

ablessin

Either way, it's his debt - not yours.

They most likely can't garnish your paycheck to pay HIS debt.

They could sue and if they wil, freeze your joint checking account - so if you have direct deposit it would be affected.

You might be wise to maintain separate checking accounts until all his premarital debt is resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">