• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnish Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdobson1979

What is the name of your state? North Carolina.. Can a landlord garnish wages if lease is up,and landlord does not have a signed copy of lease??

RachelTN

We would need more information here. Are you still living at this place? How...since you don't have a lease to live there? Do you not live there and there is back rent due or damages to the property due? They can garnish wages if they have filed suit and won a judgement on you. Provide more info and see if we can help.

jdobson1979

I have lease

I have the lease, he does not have one it ended in January. The landlord lives in AL. He sent a lease for me to get the power turned on. His screwed up sister lives here in NC, that is who we pay the rent to. Yes we owe 1 month rent. We just had a lot of problems from him, with repairs that he would not fix so i took care of, and took it out of rent. He has nothing with my signature on it as far as a lease..

RachelTN

You are living there, and there is a stated lease. You owe the rent monies. I'll bet there is a statement in the agreement that you cannot hold rent payment for non-repairs??? Look and see if that is the case. Get out of there of there are problems you are having. If in fact he doesn't have a lease in place, you might be able to get out of some of this...but it would be a hard fight...and you would have to move.

TigerD

Yes if the landlord wins a judgement against you in court -- garnishment is very possibility.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">