• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnished bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yldchild

What is the name of your state? MO
Our bank account has been garnished and "locked' as the bank puts it...I understand there is judgement, and won't bore you with all the details of HOW we got into this mess...we are and that's that. They cleaned out our savings account last Wednesday and locked our checking, the bank gave us a number to call but I cannot get a real human being just recordings. I understand we owe them the money in the judgement...we just want them to take it and GET OUT OF OUR ACCOUNT. After cleaning our savings, they should have almost all they need to cover the debt, and just a bit more from checking will do it. We have bills to pay with the money they are holding. How long can this take? Can't they just get it and GO?

Last edited:

Ladynred

No, not usually. Once the account is frozen, the court actually holds the monies for a period of time before the judgment creditor actually gets it. This can be anywhere from 10-30 days depending on your state laws. The holding period is the time that YOU have to appeal the levy. Once that time passes w/o objection or appeal, if they got all that was owed, then they should let go of your account. However, a judgment accrues interest in and of itself, so the amount shown on the lawsuit isn't likely to be ALL that is owed. You need to call the lawyer or the court and find out.

Y

yldchild

They took the money from the savings without a waiting period... :confused: So what's stopping them now?
My husbands child support is scheduled to come out tomorrow...it is court ordered...guess they'll get us in trouble with the state now, not to mention EX-wife... :eek: Which is even worse... :rolleyes:
The law firm won't return my calls...I have left the woman on my account dozens of messages...
My next message may go something like this..."wait till you turn blue...there will be no more money in the account...you want anymore of MY husbands money I suggest you bring a shovel and a treasure map..." :p
OK probably won't help but hey, it'd make me feel better... :rolleyes:
Pretty sure there is enough money in ther to cover the interest, etc...they just need to take it...*sigh*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">