• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnishment/judgment without written notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgeisel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I had an old judgment in 2006 that the attorney sent me for past due home owner's association dues. I paid the next month and now I find out that there was still a balance of about $200. Since early 2007 the attorney has just kept building up the legal fees on this amount and in December of 2008 has put a garnishment on my bank account and wages stating that I owe $4661. Can this be done without any written notification? I had no idea this amount was accumulated or due until I looked at my bank account. The last letter that I received from the attorney was August 2007.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I had an old judgment in 2006 that the attorney sent me for past due home owner's association dues. I paid the next month and now I find out that there was still a balance of about $200. Since early 2007 the attorney has just kept building up the legal fees on this amount and in December of 2008 has put a garnishment on my bank account and wages stating that I owe $4661. Can this be done without any written notification? I had no idea this amount was accumulated or due until I looked at my bank account. The last letter that I received from the attorney was August 2007.
If you paid the judgement you would have asked for the satisfaction of judgement to be filed with the court. Did you ask for a copy of that?

It appears that your judgment was not satisfied and you were levied for the amount awarded by the court.

You were notified of the judgement that is all the notification they need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">