• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment/ Locked Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hawk1400

What is the name of your state? NY

Recently I received a letter saying that, because of an old CC debt from my college tutition (approximatly $10k), they are going to garnish my salary. My job gets it and sends it in. They said it was 10%... what can you do... My check never ends up being deposited into my bank account (direct deposit) and I find my account has been locked by them ($20k hold on it). Does this lawyer/collection agency have to right to lock out my account too? I'm letting them take money out of my check already. I now cannot receive my paychecks becaused it takes over a month to have it switched from direct deposit to paper check, and I have to wait 3 weeks to have this one mailed to me. I have a one year old about to starve and run out of diapers, no money to pay for a sitter because I am on my own, and I don't know how much longer I can do this before I get fired, which would probably be this week. I live by myself in an apartment with no outside help. What can I do here? Is there anything that helps me, like them endangering the welfare of a child? I stand to loose everything now because of this. I'm about to finish paying off a payment plan with the same agency for another debt and I told them just continue the payments. They will not do that. I cannot give them anymore unless they watch my kid so I can get another job. They told me I have to sign over everything in my account or they will just take it anyway. I have a lousey 200 bucks in there that I need so I can take care of my child right now.

Can someone PLEASE help me out?

Ladynred

Does this lawyer/collection agency have to right to lock out my account too?
Absolutely. They have a judgment against you, and the account will stay frozen until you DO something to either appeal the levy or pay them. Sounds like you can't pay them, so you need to try appealing the levy with the court. It sounds like the judgment creditor isn't satisfied with your payment arrangement, so they went after your bank account. ANY money that goes into that account will be forfeit so you need to impress upon your payroll dept to NOT deposit your funds in that bank. Surely they can do something a little quicker than 3 weeks in an emergency situation ??

You CAN appeal the wage garnishment too, but you'll have to do so ASAP.

Why would you get fired ?

As for child endangerment, I don't think so but you can try Child Protective Services and at least ask.

hawk1400

Well nothing can get in or out of my account now since they locked it so they cannont even deposit my payrole. There really is not much they can do to speed up my check. I had my direct deposit cancelled today. I have to wait until at least the next paycheck to get the one I missed. If it doesn't get deposited, it goes to their cancellation department. Then, paper check is issued when the next payrole is processed and sent with that payrole.

As far as loosing my job... I am a field tech for a telecom company and I need to expense everything out of pocket before I can expense it a month later. Non union. If I dont have a car and pay my way for the month, there's no need for me since someone else can take my place. There's just no room for errors now.

Ladynred

Yikes, talk about a slow lumbering corporate entity :eek:

Does the company not allow cash advances for expenses, at least in an emergency ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">