• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia Repossession Collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msgalady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I have a concern about whether or not this repossession is legal and if the finance company is entitled to deficiency. Here are the facts:

Car purchased out of state. Lienholder never recorded the lien in GA nor did they record title in GA (I got a letter from county tax office stating registration wouldn't be renewed because of this)
Car repossessed but I never received 10 day notice of plan to sell the car.

a year or so later, i received letter from collection attorney. i requested DV. they called me twice after receiving my DV request saying they sent it and asking me if i wanted to make arrangements to avoid litigation. i told them I didn't receive it. they sent it to the incorrect address. i finally receive it and attached is:

The contract: ga law states out of state contracts need be notarized and it isn't
notice of intent to sell: sent within 10 days but to incorrect address (i updated my address with them and confirmed it again when they called me back to pick up the car)
the letter states it will be sold by private sale on or after and the date.
Proof of sale: it was old at a public auction.

Is the repossession legal and are they entitled to deficiency if:
They ignored request for title from georgia
Sent intent to sell letter to incorrect address despite my giving them the correct address twice and the car being picked up from the correct address
Stated in the letter that they would be selling at a private sale but sold it at public auction (ga code states that if it is to be sold at a public sale then this letter must state the date, time, and, place of sale)
Never recorded the lien in this state as required despite knowing the car was here when it was delivered after purchase

I read that in order to repossess repossession affidavit needs to be filed but how is it valid if they used the out of state title despite the georgia registration?

I have an email thread from them when I was attempting to register the car because I never received copy of title nor sales contract. Georgia needed the title I kept going back forth with them to get what I needed and they kept giving me the wrong documentation. I was finally able to get the tag office of register my car but once again, they never recorded title here. I have email documentation from them prior to receiving communication from the collection attorney where they denied having georgia title.

not sure if any other information here is needed.

adjusterjack

The contract: ga law states out of state contracts need be notarized
Really? What "law" is that? Cite me the statute number so I can look it up.

notice of intent to sell: sent within 10 days but to incorrect address (i updated my address with them and confirmed it again when they called me back to pick up the car)
the letter states it will be sold by private sale on or after and the date.
Proof of sale: it was old at a public auction.
That seems straightforward.

Is the repossession legal and are they entitled to deficiency if:

They ignored request for title from georgia
Sent intent to sell letter to incorrect address despite my giving them the correct address twice and the car being picked up from the correct address
Stated in the letter that they would be selling at a private sale but sold it at public auction (ga code states that if it is to be sold at a public sale then this letter must state the date, time, and, place of sale)
Never recorded the lien in this state as required despite knowing the car was here when it was delivered after purchase

I read that in order to repossess repossession affidavit needs to be filed but how is it valid if they used the out of state title despite the georgia registration?

I have an email thread from them when I was attempting to register the car because I never received copy of title nor sales contract. Georgia needed the title I kept going back forth with them to get what I needed and they kept giving me the wrong documentation. I was finally able to get the tag office of register my car but once again, they never recorded title here. I have email documentation from them prior to receiving communication from the collection attorney where they denied having georgia title.

not sure if any other information here is needed.
Despite some irregularities, you borrowed money to buy a car, you didn't pay, the car was repoed, and the creditor wants the deficiency.

Unless you are prepared to file a lawsuit, you've really got nowhere to go with this.

msgalady

Really? What "law" is that? Cite me the statute number so I can look it up.

That seems straightforward.

Despite some irregularities, you borrowed money to buy a car, you didn't pay, the car was repoed, and the creditor wants the deficiency.

Unless you are prepared to file a lawsuit, you've really got nowhere to go with this.
Thank you for your reply, with respect, i just wanted my questions answered.

but here's the code regarding out of state sales:
§ 44-14-62. Signing of deeds to secure debt and bills of sale -- Out-of-state deeds to secure debt and bills of sale

When executed outside this state, deeds to secure debt and bills of sale to secure debt shall be signed by the maker, attested by an officer as provided in Code Section 44-2-15, and attested by one other witness.

O.C.G.A. § 44-2-15 (2016)

§ 44-2-15. Officers authorized to attest registrable instruments

Any of the instruments enumerated in Code Section 44-2-14 may be attested by a judge of a court of record, including a judge of a municipal court, or by a magistrate, a notary public, or a clerk or deputy clerk of a superior court or of a city court created by special Act of the General Assembly. With the exception of notaries public and judges of courts of record, such officers may attest such instruments only in the county in which they respectively hold their offices.

and I called them to come get the car. i was trying to avoid telling the story of how we landed at the repossession because it is a crazy roller coaster and the rules to the forum say to be precise. so i stated the facts pertaining to the questions I had. My question wasn't if i had anywhere to go with this. iI tried to be as specific as possible. if you know the answer to my questions and would like to answer them. that would be great.

adjusterjack

OK, here's a few things.

You're in the wrong statute. Title 44 applies to real estate, not car loans. Title 11 - Commercial Code applies to car loans (secured transactions).

A quick scan of Article 9 appears to reveal nothing to support your contention that the lack of a notary makes any difference. However, you are free to make an in-depth study of it.

I also found nothing in there that addresses "recording" of the title. The statute covers security agreements. The vehicle was the security. I don't believe that the title issue will get you anywhere.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2015/title-11/article-9/

Part 6 -1 of Article 9 addresses Default and Enforcement of Security Interest. Start with 11-9-609 and go forward from there.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2015/title-11/article-9/part-6/part-1/

The notice requirements are in those sections. That you didn't receive the notice doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't sent. I doubt if that will make any difference in the long run.

The error about private sale vs public sale I also think is irrelevant because you could have called up at any time to find out where and when the sale was going to be held.

Lastly, Part 6 -2 - Noncompliance with Article address remedies (in court) that you might have for any relevant noncompliance.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2015/title-11/article-9/part-6/part-2/

I know that you are wishing that there was something in the statutes that you wave at the collector to make them say "Oh, you're right, you don't owe us anything" but I think that's not going to happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">