• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting calls EVERY DAY for someone who doesn't live here!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Not My Bill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am getting calls to my cell phone every single day several times for someone who doesn't live in this household. I am getting really sick of it. Just changing my number isn't an option since it's my business number, and has been since last summer. It's really disruptive! Every time my phone rings I check it in case it's a client, so I'm running around six or seven a day to get my phone to have it be there, but they just won't stop calling!

They still keep calling and I've been close once to just paying someone else's stupid bill so that my cell phone won't ring several times a day for someone else,and then I thought about how that might be their game plan.

Isn't this harassment? They've been aware that the person they're asking for is a stranger to me, but they insist that she lives here. It's just me and my fiancé who live here, and the company we have our cell phones through (AT&T) doesn't allow blocking a caller from calling.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am getting calls to my cell phone every single day several times for someone who doesn't live in this household. I am getting really sick of it. Just changing my number isn't an option since it's my business number, and has been since last summer. It's really disruptive! Every time my phone rings I check it in case it's a client, so I'm running around six or seven a day to get my phone to have it be there, but they just won't stop calling!

They still keep calling and I've been close once to just paying someone else's stupid bill so that my cell phone won't ring several times a day for someone else,and then I thought about how that might be their game plan.

Isn't this harassment? They've been aware that the person they're asking for is a stranger to me, but they insist that she lives here. It's just me and my fiancé who live here, and the company we have our cell phones through (AT&T) doesn't allow blocking a caller from calling.

have you tried speaking to a supervisor of the company calling you?

Not My Bill

When I didn't get "disconnected" while on hold, a supervisor told me the calls would stop, but they didn't stop at all. I can't afford to go through all my cell minutes waiting on hold an hour before being hung up on.

Silverplum

I don't know of a single person, ever, who got a new phone number and did not get calls for the previous "number owner" for a while.

As far as the bill, why can't you save that phone number on your cell, give it a distinctive ringer, and not answer in future?

ecmst12

Get a physical address for the company and send a WRITTEN cease and desist letter via certified mail, return receipt requested. If the calls don't stop after that, call a lawyer, you may be able to take further action.

StephenH

Send a cease and desist letter to them, explaining that you are the owner of the phone number now, and that you do not know the previous owner of the phone and to cease and desist calling this number. You may want to attach a copy of the cell phone bill to the letter so they can see this. If this does not work, I would contact a lawyer.

Not My Bill

Silverplum, even if I use a distinctive number s I know it's them, then I'm suck hearing a ring tone for several seconds until it goes to voice mail, and then an annoying reminder" beep every ten minutes or so until I go acknowledge the message. So this doesn't work. I still have to fetch my phone to deal with it.

ecmst and Stephen, this isn't a new number. I've had it a year, long enough to have established business under it and have it on a thousand business cards I've passed out. The phone calls just started. The line is on a family plan in my husband's name. Would that be good enough to send to them?

StephenH

Yes, you could explain that you are on his plan as a shared plan. The bill should show your number, so they will get the message. You might also try contacting their supervisor as well. If this keeps happening, I would have an attorney contact the collectors. Sometimes the collectors get scared when people threaten legal action against them.

20pilot

Silverplum, even if I use a distinctive number s I know it's them, then I'm suck hearing a ring tone for several seconds until it goes to voice mail, and then an annoying reminder" beep every ten minutes or so until I go acknowledge the message.
Who said the distinctive ring MP3 you associate with that number has to actually have any sounds to it?

I had never heard of "remind every 10 minutes" feature. Is that a cell phone or cell serviec features? How often do you acually use it? Can you disable it?

Beyond trying to talk to a supervisor, you can call one of the executives. A few years ago, I was able to find the cell number of a vice president of a company that was calling for a former resident at my address repeatedly. The phone calls stopped.

Phone numbers can be found a variety of sources, such as press releases and corporate filings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">