• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting charged for items I never received from October 2014

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lrb6792

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas
I'm wondering if I can legally still try to dispute it they said I only had 30 days back this debt is from 2014. They charged me for 4 items and I only ever received 1 and I have proof of it through emails through the creditor Addvantage USA. For a totally of over 5k. I have reached out to the collection agency(Monterey collections) last month and sent them the emails but received mail today from them basically saying I'm tough out of luck and I have to pay the full amount. Legally I don't think they have the right to charge me for all the items that I never received. I have them asking me why I waited 2 years to dispute. I originally was disputing it back when it happened and then I had some personal issues in my life and but it on the back burner.

FlyingRon

Never take legal advice from a debt collector. It's even worse than taking it from police. The question is the debt from the people you ordered the items from. If so, the statute of limitations works both ways. If it is that you used your credit card and now owe for items you didn't receive, you are indeed out of luck. You should have disputed that long ago.

LdiJ

Never take legal advice from a debt collector. It's even worse than taking it from police. The question is the debt from the people you ordered the items from. If so, the statute of limitations works both ways. If it is that you used your credit card and now owe for items you didn't receive, you are indeed out of luck. You should have disputed that long ago.
I am actually confused. Apparently there is a collection agency going after the OP. I am not sure how it can be argued that the OP actually owes any money if the product was ordered via mail, phone or the internet because a credit/debit card would have had to be used, and would have had to clear.

The only possible exception I could see is if the OP disputed it with his/her credit/debit card company and they reversed the charge, but the seller, rather than accepting the result, or litigating the issue played passive/aggressive by selling it or sending it to a collection agency...and if that is the case that is one of the very serious reasons why I think that debt collection law needs to be reformed.

Anybody can send anything to collections even if it has absolutely no validity at all. I specifically know of companies who deliberately do that even when they know that the debt is NOT valid. They hope that the alleged debtor will pay the invalid debt just to get it off their credit report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">