• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother co-signed grandsons student loans, grandson now military and not paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mejallen

Additional details

Grandson dis-owned grandmother and hasn't spoken to her for a few years. He is in the Air Force and is able to defer payments but isn't taking any action and is ignoring grandmothers communications to do something so she doesn't assume the debt. Grandmother is 76 and grandson is 25

Proserpina

Grandson dis-owned grandmother and hasn't spoken to her for a few years. He is in the Air Force and is able to defer payments but isn't taking any action and is ignoring grandmothers communications to do something so she doesn't assume the debt. Grandmother is 76 and grandson is 25

She co-signed it - unfortunately the odds aren't in her favor to get that changed.

single317dad

Most people I know who have the ability to defer their student loan payments are doing so. Why should this person not do so?

Proserpina

Most people I know who have the ability to defer their student loan payments are doing so. Why should this person not do so?

I'm going to go with, "Because if I wait long enough they'll just make her pay so why should I even bother?" for $500 please!

bdancer

Bad news is that grandma co-signed and is going to be stuck paying those student loans.

Good news is that the grandson is in the Air Force. The Air Force, like most branches of the military, frowns on members not properly paying their debts. Contact the grandson's base commander concerning his lack of payment on the student loans or getting a deferment, resulting in grandma being on the hook. Grandson will not only get a very serious "heart to heart" talk about financial responsibility, but it will go in his personnel record. Not unheard of for the military to require an allotment from his pay to cover the monthly payments.

single317dad

I'm going to go with, "Because if I wait long enough they'll just make her pay so why should I even bother?" for $500 please!
It appears I misread the question. I thought OP was complaining because the grandson IS deferring the payments instead of paying the loan off. :eek:

davew128

Bad news is that grandma co-signed and is going to be stuck paying those student loans.

Good news is that the grandson is in the Air Force. The Air Force, like most branches of the military, frowns on members not properly paying their debts. Contact the grandson's base commander concerning his lack of payment on the student loans or getting a deferment, resulting in grandma being on the hook. Grandson will not only get a very serious "heart to heart" talk about financial responsibility, but it will go in his personnel record. Not unheard of for the military to require an allotment from his pay to cover the monthly payments.
The worse news is that you didn't bother to read the part where the loans are in deferment.

mejallen

thanks everyone

I appreciate the advice. My sister divorced her husband and the kids felt bad for their dad and have stopped all relations and communications with our side of the family. The grandson is ignoring the grandmother's emails and calls and roaming the country having a great time and does have the ability to defer or taks other action. He defered three years ago and it is time to do so again. Since the grandmother is retired and on a fixed imcome this is showing on her credit and now she can't additional financial means. I appreciate all advice and everyone's time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">