• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Greek Organization Fines and Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anonymous444

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was previously part of a college Greek organization from Fall 2015-Spring 2016 where I accrued about $250 in fines for being late and not attending required events. I no longer attend this university, nor are an active member of the organization. They have contacted me and my parents periodically for the last 7 months asking for payment, and I ignored them. They are now threatening to hand my debt over to collections if I do not pay by the end of the month. My bylaws that I signed do say I would pay fees, but only say that not paying them will result in change of membership status, nothing else. The only document that states my debt can be passed to collectors is my membership contract with a third-party website used for payment, OmegaFi. This contract says "Member recognizes that the obligations under this Contract shall continue during the full term of this Contract until the first of the following occur:
(i) Member no longer attends University of Texas at Dallas due to withdrawal, expulsion, transfer, graduation, or failure to re-enroll;".
Because I am no longer attending the university, can they legally force me to pay these fines? Or are they still valid since I accrued them while still attending? Is there anything I can do, or do I have no choice but to pay?
Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You would need to have the entire matter reviewed by an attorney - that is beyond the scope of this forum.

With that said: At the very least, you did agree to pay the charges, and $250 is cheap to avoid the hit on your credit.

LdiJ

You would need to have the entire matter reviewed by an attorney - that is beyond the scope of this forum.

With that said: At the very least, you did agree to pay the charges, and $250 is cheap to avoid the hit on your credit.
While I agree, I happen to think that the whole system of fines in the greek system are seriously bogus. I might choose to take the credit hit as a matter of principle.

quincy

While I agree, I happen to think that the whole system of fines in the greek system are seriously bogus. I might choose to take the credit hit as a matter of principle.
A matter of principle?

Anonymous444 agreed to the terms (including fees/fines) when s/he became a member of the Greek organization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">