• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He thinks I am money hungry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Loracs

What is the name of your state? WI
My children and I live in a different state than my ex husband and his wife. His wife carries the insurance on our children. He works 15 hours a week and provides no child support. When I take our children to the doctor, I pay the co-pay and her insurance covers 80/20. It is stated in our divorce papers that he is to give me a copy of the 20% bill and I am to pay my half. In five years I have never recieved a bill. Never seen a copy of a bill.
In 2003 my ex husband and his wife filed bankrupsy in ILL. In December of 2004 the colection agencies caught up with me. Now I have never seen a bill but somehow they think I am responsible to pay over $3000 in medical bills that my ex filed bankrupsy on. Can they do this? I have tried to keep my head above water with my home that I purchased and I am eligible for a loan that I really need to do some fix ups on the house and now I have these collection agencies telling me I have to pay all this money or it will go on my credit report. I have not paid any money at this time.

Ladynred

Wait, were these medical bills that they're now chasing you for part of the child support agreement .. something HE was supposed to pay ?? Or is this your 1/2 of the 20% ??

If it was child support related that HE was required to pay, then there's NO WAY those debts should have been dischargeable in bankruptcy. I think you need to speak to a lawyer ASAP.

Loracs

he thinks I am money hungry

This is part of the 20%. In our divorce papers he is to give me a copy of the bills that the insurance does not cover within 30 days so I can pay my half. If he does not give me a copy of the bill then he is responsible for all of it. He has never given me a copy of the bills. Then he filed bankrupsy on all of it and the (not the medical facility, the collections agency) are now comming after me to pay them.

Ladynred

If he does not give me a copy of the bill then he is responsible for all of it.
Is that in writing as part of the child support agreement ?? If it clearly says that he is responsible for ALL of it if he doess not give you a copy of the bill, then you have footing to fight this. If he weaseled to have this portion discharged in his bankruptcy, you can challenge that since he obviously did not follow the court order.

You really, really need to speak to a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">