• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Can my mom lose her house for my late father's unpaid medical bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sluggydd

What is the name of your state?[FONT=]undefined[/FONT]undefined[FONT=]undefined[/FONT]undefinedWhat is the name of your state? New Jersey

My father passed away this year from lung cancer. He was in and out of the hospital for six months. He had no medical insurance so we applied for charity care. They paid 20% because my parents own a house (which they were still paying off). His bills came to about $400,000. After paying off his funeral I called the credit collection bureau to set up payments for my now single mother who only makes 1200 a month and is still paying off this mortgage. We came to an agreement of a $50 a month and he was also going to make sure he couldn't get us more money from charity care. Three days later, before I could send payment, he calls me back to tell me the hospital will not accept less then $500 a month! He would not hear any of my arguements and suggested getting a lawyer.

Should my mother file for bankruptcy? Can they take her house? I have no idea what to do. I have tried the hospital and I can't even get a real person! Please help!

Tayla

Go to the Hospital and set up an appointment to meet with personnel from the *Hardship* program. Most Hospitals are given donations to offset when folks apply under this program. they will most often set up payments based on the average income of the household. Have you tried your community churchs? Sometimes they offer goodwill gestures to help out families after a loved one has passed on....

Who is this *credit collection Bureau*? Are they the current owners of this debt?

Ladynred

Can they take her house ?? Probably not, but they could put a lien on it.

Debts of the deceased are paid out of their estate thru probate. Since the house WAS an asset with your father's name on it, its part of the estate. Did your mother ever sign to be responsible for your father's medical bills ?

Whether or not they could take it depends on the equity in the house and the available exemption.

If the charity thing doesn't work, your mother CAN file for bankruptcy. However, with $400,000 in medical bills, the mortgage and whatever other bills he may have had, your father's estate is most likely insolvent. Your mother needs to talk to a lawyer ASAP.

sluggydd

Can they take my mom's house for unpaid medical bills?

New Jersey.

Certified Credit & Collection Bureau is the name of the collection company that the hospital is using. I'm am going to the hospital tomorrow with my mom to try to apply for a hardship case or talk to their patients account department.

My mother never signed anything regarding responsiblity for my father's medical bills. A friend of mine has contacted a lawyer and I should hopefully be speaking to him today.

Thank you both for your help, it is greatly appreciated :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">