• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with credit dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ABrier

I live in the state of Michigan. About a year ago I found out that the electricity (DTE) was never removed from my name when I moved out of my ex boyfriends house back in 2006. It was turned off for non-payment in 2014 and it's showing I owe the electric company 3500 on my credit report. My ex agreed to sign to take responsibility for this debt but when we went to the DTE offices they said he couldn't do that. His only option was to pay the balance but it would still remain on my credit report. They suggested I take him to small claims court to settle the matter. I went to small claims about a month ago and was awarded a judgment for the amount that is owed to DTE but they are saying he must pay me that amount not them. This still won't repair the damage to my credit. I'm wondering what my next step should be in order to have this removed completely from my credit history. Also, any advice to collect the amount owed to me would be appreciated as well since he is making no effort to pay me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in the state of Michigan. About a year ago I found out that the electricity (DTE) was never removed from my name when I moved out of my ex boyfriends house back in 2006. It was turned off for non-payment in 2014 and it's showing I owe the electric company 3500 on my credit report. My ex agreed to sign to take responsibility for this debt but when we went to the DTE offices they said he couldn't do that. His only option was to pay the balance but it would still remain on my credit report. They suggested I take him to small claims court to settle the matter. I went to small claims about a month ago and was awarded a judgment for the amount that is owed to DTE but they are saying he must pay me that amount not them. This still won't repair the damage to my credit. I'm wondering what my next step should be in order to have this removed completely from my credit history. Also, any advice to collect the amount owed to me would be appreciated as well since he is making no effort to pay me.
There is no magic bullet to have a legitimate collection item such as this removed from your credit report. Pay DTE and see if they will agree to remove it, even though they are under no obligation to do so.

ABrier

There is no magic bullet to have a legitimate collection item such as this removed from your credit report. Pay DTE and see if they will agree to remove it, even though they are under no obligation to do so.
The collection isn't legitimate though. The electricity was wrongfully used in my name for several years without my knowledge. There was a judgment against my ex for doing this. The collection item needs to be placed on his credit. I'm just trying to see what my next steps are to make sure this happens.

Last edited:

Zigner

The collection isn't legitimate though. The electricity was wrongfully used in my name for several years without my knowledge. There was a judgment against my ex for doing this. The collection item needs to be placed on his credit. I'm just trying to see what my next steps are to make sure this happens.
No, the collection was correct. You never removed your name from the account, so it's on you. Your civil judgment is between you and him. The judgment will show up on his credit, but the collection account for the utility bill is totally on you.

ABrier

No, the collection was correct. You never removed your name from the account, so it's on you. Your civil judgment is between you and him. The judgment will show up on his credit, but the collection account for the utility bill is totally on you.
Actually, DTE never removed my name from the account. I started service with DTE at my new residence when I moved. They turned on service at my new residence but never stopped the old service. I'm not asking whether or not you think I am right in this matter, I'm just asking what steps I need to take to attempt to clear my credit.

Zigner

Actually, DTE never removed my name from the account. I started service with DTE at my new residence when I moved. They turned on service at my new residence but never stopped the old service. I'm not asking whether or not you think I am right in this matter, I'm just asking what steps I need to take to attempt to clear my credit.
I told you already...there is no mechanism to force a creditor to remove a valid entry on your credit report. The problem is that you seem to think the entry isn't valid and you refuse to even consider that you may be (are) wrong.

ETA: DTE had no reason to close your old account unless you specifically requested it. It's not uncommon for folks to have more than one property, thus having more than one utility account.

ABrier

I told you already...there is no mechanism to force a creditor to remove a valid entry on your credit report. The problem is that you seem to think the entry isn't valid and you refuse to even consider that you may be (are) wrong.

ETA: DTE had no reason to close your old account unless you specifically requested it. It's not uncommon for folks to have more than one property, thus having more than one utility account.
Sooo are you the only person that gives advice on this forum? I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my question but I'd love some advice that might actually help me out of the situation I am in. Thanks again :)

Also, I did request to have it turned off when I moved. They just didn't do it.

Last edited:

Zigner

Sooo are you the only person that gives advice on this forum? I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my question but I'd love some advice that might actually help me out of the situation I am in. Thanks again :)
I gave you such advice. Speak nicely to the folks at DTE and see if full payment will convince them to remove it from your credit report, even though they are under no obligation to do so.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

YOU are wrong. You should have requested to have the utility stopped. And if you requested it, HOW? What evidence do you have? Because you have not stated any evidence.

Proserpina

Zigner is perfectly correct. You don't have to like it, but he's telling you the truth. The agreement was always between you and the electric company; they don't have to agree to get it off your credit report nor can court force them to pursue a third party.

Now with that said, do you have proof that you closed off the account/proof that you requested a disconnect?

Zigner

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that the OP should have followed up with the utility when she never received a final/closing bill for the old account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">