• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help me. I just want my pay that I earned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Strang3r

My good friend for 10yrs and boss for 3 yrs, has some serious issues. He's an ex-con, has been addicted to synthetic marijuana for years, cheated multiple times on his wife, does steroids...the list goes on and on. He has the ability to get extremely mad at people -even customers. He will often times throw a physical tantrum and pick up stuff and throw it across the room. I work as an independent contractor. I had done two days of my services and received some pay in cash the same day. However, the day after that I got into a small argument with him over making a post on Facebook that offended me personally because it was about me. Then I sent a message to him telling him in all honesty how I felt and asked for an apology. I received no response from him. He went to Facebook and posted a very rude video telling all the public that I no longer work there. So I gave him my personal opinion and I got fired for it. He said that what he says 'is law' if you work for him. Told you mental issues I said absolutely nothing offensive to him and didn't deserve this. He is now refusing to give me the rest of my pay by not answering my multiple messages throughout the last two weeks of being unemployed. It is just under 200 that he owes and obviously I really need it. I really don't want to have to take him to small claims court. He had said I'm 'not welcome' at the shop anymore but never used the term BANNED.... he is also not the owner of the building. He is the owner of the business IN the building but the building itself is someone completely different. I am at my wits end, I would like to go into the building and get my pay. I was thinking of telling an officer and having him assist me, thinking that this would sort of scare him into just coughing up the money and getting this over with. But if there is an officer in our presence, would he have him arrested me for being there? What can I possibly do? I'm so hurt by this- my friend of ten years just snaps and is a different person ... and then he goes on even to this day talking slander causing people to dislike me.... I'm frustrated to say the least.

Best Regards

LdiJ

My good friend for 10yrs and boss for 3 yrs, has some serious issues. He's an ex-con, has been addicted to synthetic marijuana for years, cheated multiple times on his wife, does steroids...the list goes on and on. He has the ability to get extremely mad at people -even customers. He will often times throw a physical tantrum and pick up stuff and throw it across the room. I work as an independent contractor. I had done two days of my services and received some pay in cash the same day. However, the day after that I got into a small argument with him over making a post on Facebook that offended me personally because it was about me. Then I sent a message to him telling him in all honesty how I felt and asked for an apology. I received no response from him. He went to Facebook and posted a very rude video telling all the public that I no longer work there. So I gave him my personal opinion and I got fired for it. He said that what he says 'is law' if you work for him. Told you mental issues I said absolutely nothing offensive to him and didn't deserve this. He is now refusing to give me the rest of my pay by not answering my multiple messages throughout the last two weeks of being unemployed. It is just under 200 that he owes and obviously I really need it. I really don't want to have to take him to small claims court. He had said I'm 'not welcome' at the shop anymore but never used the term BANNED.... he is also not the owner of the building. He is the owner of the business IN the building but the building itself is someone completely different. I am at my wits end, I would like to go into the building and get my pay. I was thinking of telling an officer and having him assist me, thinking that this would sort of scare him into just coughing up the money and getting this over with. But if there is an officer in our presence, would he have him arrested me for being there? What can I possibly do? I'm so hurt by this- my friend of ten years just snaps and is a different person ... and then he goes on even to this day talking slander causing people to dislike me.... I'm frustrated to say the least.

Best Regards
It would be absolutely necessary for you to take him to small claims court first to get a judgment before you could attempt any forced collection action.

justalayman

If the guy is the leaseholder, which is likely given his business is within a building he doesn't own, he has the right to ban you from the building. Telling you you are not welcome is banning you.

The police will not help you. This is a civil matter. If he doesn't pay you, you get to sue him

One thing that may be to your advantage;

Many people are misclassified as independent contractors. If you were improperly treated as an independent contractor you may have a valid claim with the department of labor here. They would assist in obtaining your pay if you legally were required to be an employee rather than an IC. Not knowing anymore than what was posted, you might google IC versus employee and do a bit of research.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">