• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hold on College Transcripts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rj3

My son attended 2 years at a college, and paid for everything except the last semester which he still owes for. He is now wanting to transfer to another college, but of course there is a hold on his transcripts. My question is: Since he paid for all semesters except the last one, can't the college legally only hold the last semesters transcript, and would have to release the other semesters since they have been paid for?

Antigone*

My son attended 2 years at a college, and paid for everything except the last semester which he still owes for. He is now wanting to transfer to another college, but of course there is a hold on his transcripts. My question is: Since he paid for all semesters except the last one, can't the college legally only hold the last semesters transcript, and would have to release the other semesters since they have been paid for?
They will hold all his information until his debt is paid off completely. Yes it is legal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
US Law Only

Kiddo will have to pay all his outstanding bills before the transcripts are released.

commentator

Colleges can, and do refuse to send transcripts and other information even AFTER a person has graduated, even for unpaid lab or library fines. This can be painful when one is interviewing, as prospective employers receive no validation of credentials. He needs to pay for that last semester with the old college before he begins anything with the new one. This is legitimate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">