• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital bill going to collection law firm?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

veercat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Two years ago, I went to the hospital and received some services, but I noticed the bill was a lot higher than I was expecting. When I asked for an itemized list, I noticed two services on the list that didn't happen. When I told the hospital about this, they insisted that the services were legitimate. I asked for proof in my medical record that showed that those services happened. One was an X-ray that I know I didn't get. The hospital had no record of an X-ray. So, I tried working with them on lowering the bill because it was too high. They refused to take those items off and had initially said they would lower the bill anyway to account for the same cost they had on the bill. So it seemed like everything was fine until they suddenly sent the bill to collections.

I spoke with the first collections office and told them that I would pay $700 of the $900 bill and that I was disputing the rest of it because those services never happened. The only reason why I didn't pay part of the bill to the hospital was because they specifically told me that if I did that they would not or could not work with me on lowering the bill. They took everything down and I paid them that amount. Now, I'm still getting contacted about the remaining $200. I refuse to pay it because it's invalid. I am frustrated that it has seemed to escalate and I'm not sure how to go about this now that there's apparently a collections law firm in the mix. Weirdly, they are citing the hospital as the creditor and not the collections agency. $200 is a small amount and it hardly seems worth a lawsuit, but I don't know what to think anymore. What should I do? At this point, I really don't care if my credit is dinged, I just don't want to deal with a lawsuit over an X-ray that never happened and that no one can prove.

single317dad

It's quite common for creditors to sue over amounts as small as $200, especially if they feel that the debtor is one who will actually pay the bill (along with associated legal fees and interest, which will be awarded by the court). I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a lawsuit was forthcoming.

As in any dispute over the validity of a debt, what you'll have to do is go to court and dispute the claims that the hospital makes. They will be forced to prove that the debt is owed. You will be given an opportunity to debunk their proof. Following the rules of civil procedure, you'll plead your case and they'll plead theirs. Much of both cases will be made before any actual appearance in court, via the complaint, answer, defenses, motions, affidavits, discovery, subpoenas, etc.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Two years ago, I went to the hospital and received some services, but I noticed the bill was a lot higher than I was expecting. When I asked for an itemized list, I noticed two services on the list that didn't happen. When I told the hospital about this, they insisted that the services were legitimate. I asked for proof in my medical record that showed that those services happened. One was an X-ray that I know I didn't get. The hospital had no record of an X-ray. So, I tried working with them on lowering the bill because it was too high. They refused to take those items off and had initially said they would lower the bill anyway to account for the same cost they had on the bill. So it seemed like everything was fine until they suddenly sent the bill to collections.

I spoke with the first collections office and told them that I would pay $700 of the $900 bill and that I was disputing the rest of it because those services never happened. The only reason why I didn't pay part of the bill to the hospital was because they specifically told me that if I did that they would not or could not work with me on lowering the bill. They took everything down and I paid them that amount. Now, I'm still getting contacted about the remaining $200. I refuse to pay it because it's invalid. I am frustrated that it has seemed to escalate and I'm not sure how to go about this now that there's apparently a collections law firm in the mix. Weirdly, they are citing the hospital as the creditor and not the collections agency. $200 is a small amount and it hardly seems worth a lawsuit, but I don't know what to think anymore. What should I do? At this point, I really don't care if my credit is dinged, I just don't want to deal with a lawsuit over an X-ray that never happened and that no one can prove.

Have you obtained a copy of your medical records yet?

jwrightis

I would just deny I owe it and request they stop contacting you except for by mail only. Then just wait and see what they do. I had one hospital Sue me for 500 dollars. I settled it out of court and dint pay any attorney fees. If you let it go to that point you have some outcomes that might take place. 1. The firm suing you refuses to lower the amount you pay back and adds attorney fees. You then will be forced to pay that either in a lump, pay plan or garnishment. 2. They are willing to work with you to come up with a lesser amount, and let you do a bank draft for so many months to pay it off. 3. They Sue you, you do nothing, a judge allows them to garnish wages. If you don't care about your credit report, let it go.

It's also common for the hospital to assign the debt rather than sell it. The hospital would retain ownership, and split any collected proceeds with the collection agency. The agency I worked at charged between 25% and 50%. It would be perfectly proper for the hospital to be the creditor when turned over to the attorney for suit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would just deny I owe it and request they stop contacting you except for by mail only. Then just wait and see what they do. I had one hospital Sue me for 500 dollars. I settled it out of court and dint pay any attorney fees. If you let it go to that point you have some outcomes that might take place. 1. The firm suing you refuses to lower the amount you pay back and adds attorney fees. You then will be forced to pay that either in a lump, pay plan or garnishment. 2. They are willing to work with you to come up with a lesser amount, and let you do a bank draft for so many months to pay it off. 3. They Sue you, you do nothing, a judge allows them to garnish wages. If you don't care about your credit report, let it go.
While this advice may be valid in that there is nothing legally incorrect about it, the fact is that such actions will tend to force the creditors hand, oftentimes leading to a lawsuit. Burying one's head in the sand is seldom a wise course of action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">