• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How about ignoring a debt if I live outside of US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hgabika

Hi! I was on vacation in the US (Hawaii) and rented a car. (I am Hungarian). I had a flat tire on the car and the rental company wants me to pay $200 for the "damage" which is irrational. I am thinking about not paying anything since I am not a US citizen, I have already retuned home and I don't have any valuables / assets on my name in the US. What legal consequences am I facing? Is there any legal means for them to collect the money from a foreign country/foreign citizen? Even if I am "safe" here, what awaits me if I return to the states in a few years ( on a working visa, for example)? Is there a time after which this case becomes forfeited? What would you do?
Thank you!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi! I was on vacation in the US (Hawaii) and rented a car. (I am Hungarian). I had a flat tire on the car and the rental company wants me to pay $200 for the "damage" which is irrational. I am thinking about not paying anything since I am not a US citizen, I have already retuned home and I don't have any valuables / assets on my name in the US. What legal consequences am I facing? Is there any legal means for them to collect the money from a foreign country/foreign citizen? Even if I am "safe" here, what awaits me if I return to the states in a few years ( on a working visa, for example)? Is there a time after which this case becomes forfeited? What would you do?
Thank you!
You could be a deadbeat or you could take responsibility.

FlyingRon

Did you use a credit card to pay for the car? Chances are they're just going to hit that up.

What "damage" did you cause by having a flat tire.

Was it one of the major rental outfits?

LdiJ

Did you use a credit card to pay for the car? Chances are they're just going to hit that up.

What "damage" did you cause by having a flat tire.

Was it one of the major rental outfits?
I do not believe that they can "hit up" the credit card. I am dealing with a dispute with a national car rental company right now (have been for over a year) and believe me if they could have hit up the credit card they would have done it by now. Mine is somewhat similar. In my case when I returned the car they inspected it and said that everything was ok...then called me 8 hours later and said that there was a significant dent in the one of the front quarter panels. On the advice of my insurance company I told them to pound sand...and they have not given up. They have not attempted to sue me, but they have sent it to collections.

Again, I personally would fight paying for a replacement tire. Someone's insurance wouldn't cover a flat tire...why should a rental company get to claim it as "damaged" by the consumer?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I do not believe that they can "hit up" the credit card. I am dealing with a dispute with a national car rental company right now (have been for over a year) and believe me if they could have hit up the credit card they would have done it by now. Mine is somewhat similar. In my case when I returned the car they inspected it and said that everything was ok...then called me 8 hours later and said that there was a significant dent in the one of the front quarter panels. On the advice of my insurance company I told them to pound sand...and they have not given up. They have not attempted to sue me, but they have sent it to collections.

Again, I personally would fight paying for a replacement tire. Someone's insurance wouldn't cover a flat tire...why should a rental company get to claim it as "damaged" by the consumer?
But LD, you are taking responsibility and doing things the legal, correct way. There is more than one way to responsibility. You are disputing and fighting the charge properly. OP just wants to bury his head in the sand.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I don't know that I wouldn't fight a charge for a flat tire on a rental car myself. Tires are maintenance items on a car.
Whether it's "maintenance" depends on (a) under what circumstances the tire became flat, and (b) how long OP drove with a flat tire.

It will most likely show up as a credit card charge. It is unlikely that OP rented without being required to show a credit card.

What OP *should* do is see if the credit card used provides some form of insurance - some credit cards do. At least, some US credit cards do.

hgabika

OK it looks like I have to give some more details. This debt resulted from my stupidity and also the rental company's ignorance. Yes it is from one of the main branches, Advantage. Right at the moment we got the car the low tire pressure light was on on the dash but we were stupid enough to drive away without notifying the company because none of the tires seemed to be flat upon inspection.
A few days later we noticed the tire being flat so we drove back to the company where they said we were gonna be charged for the "damage". Well there wasn't any damage because the tire wasn't flat enough to be damaged by driving. Nevertheless, they replaced the tire.. We should have just put some air in that freakin tire...
We have an insurance but it has a $250 deductible so it is useless in this situation. The card we payed with is from the US, but it is a debit card and there is no money left on it, so I'm gonna suspend the account anyway.

I don't think there is anything I can do to fight the debt, so I just wanna know what happens if I "bury my head in the ground" :D Most probably I will pay it, I want to avoid any legal issues since I'm almost sure this wasn't my last time visiting the States.

single317dad

Given the new information, I believe you are responsible for the debt and that there's not much the rental company can do to collect said debt. Should you ever return to the states, any accounts you hold here could be frozen and seized, driving and professional licenses could be revoked, and investment property or assets could be taken. That's all assuming they ever found you, which would be unlikely over a $200 debt, but that debt could balloon to thousands by the time all the fees are added.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">